Blue Door Inn(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$126
Columbine Inn(Estes Park)
US$106
Coyote Mountain Lodge(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$135
Appenzell Inn(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$204
Alpine Trail Ridge Inn(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$201
Best Western Plus Silver Saddle Inn(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$203
US$180
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$200/night.

Brynwood on the River(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$236
StoneBrook Resort(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$225
Dao House(Estes Park)
Hotels.com
All reviewssoup and saladkey roomkey collectionrustic charmrhubarb piesummer staffrich in historyfront porchhumming birdshiking trailsitting roommountain lodgebreakfast was deliciouseach morningbeautiful settingkeysfeeders
Reviewed 28 September 2017 via mobile

Went to a wedding reception at Baldpate and I seriously fell in love with the Inn!!!! The look, feel, food, atmosphere, service and keys of Baldpate are historically fascinating and wonderful !!! So much to see and explore!!! I can’t say enough about this place!!! One of the hidden gems of Estes and worth the drive to get there!!

Stayed: September 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

Where do I start? I visited this "rustic gem" for a business trip in July and wish I would have camped out instead. The only upside was the view, you are surrounded by beautiful Rocky Mountain National Park. The rooms are filthy and it looks like the stained, mismatched furniture was found at a garage sale decades ago. Be prepared to share a bathroom (including shower) with the rest of the hotel. I was kept awake all night due to the loud staff (employee hallway housing is next to guest rooms) and some kind of mouse or rat in the walls scratching around. The staff was nice, but by no fault of their own, extremely undertrained (most of them looking to be freshly out of high school). The young managers did not know how to deal with my complaints, nor the other guests. The innkeeper/owner was a nightmare. Not only half asleep (this was in the afternoon) but extremely rude, unthoughtful, passive aggressive, and snarky when I asked to move rooms or check out early due to the hellish conditions. One of the staff members had to "wake up the boss" to take care of the situation. Whatever that means. I was told the critters were probably just cold, the bathroom situation was like traveling in Europe, and the dirt was because they were a rustic and historic inn. HA! I have traveled enough to know what is illegal and against health codes. I did visit the museum, the staff was amazing and gave a great history of the place. However, I don't think the Mase (?) family would be too happy with the way the current innkeeper is going about her business. The buffet was good but completely overpriced, the moth I found in the salad wasn't exactly what I was craving. I truly can't imagine what hell the actual kitchen looks like. I have never written a negative review, but please fellow travelers, save your dignity and money...go somewhere else.

Stayed: July 2017, traveled on business
6  Thank lonetravanony
Reviewed 5 September 2017

The hotel is charming and rustic, with many things to admire about it. The staff was very kind, and the breakfast was excellent. However... the building is so ancient that everything creaks and the walls are paper thin. This makes it literally impossible to sleep. Although you're in a quiet mountain setting - you hear more noise than you would in an urban hotel. What's worse, the bathrooms are shared. Expedia fails to mention that anywhere on their site and I was extremely disappointed to discover this fact upon arrival. The bathrooms are well-used, and soiled. Someone's hair was in the shower - ick. Given that the hotel isn't charging hostel rates, the hostel environment wasn't welcome. A few tweaks would make this a truly special place. But until the innkeeper makes these investments - I'd rather camp! It would be far more peaceful!

Room Tip: shared bathrooms very loud
  • Stayed: August 2017, traveled solo
3  Thank els007
Reviewed 11 August 2017

Our family (two adults and one child) stayed at the Baldpate Inn in the Wrangler cabin for two nights in early August 2017.

An introduction about the Baldpate for those who have never been.. If you want to stay in a historical location that isn't trendy, and are willing to go with the flow, this is a place for you. If you think that roughing it is staying at a Super 8 Motel because the Marriott is full, you probably won't care for the Baldpate. Some of the floors aren't level but this place is full of history.

The Baldpate Inn is located just south of Estes Park on Colorado 7 Highway in the mountains bordering Rocky Mountain National Park. Baldpate is open from Memorial Day through mid-October. The lodge / main building includes the front desk, the Key Room (check out the web page,) the library, the dining room, a sitting lounge, and a front porch with a beautiful view and of course guest rooms. Also on the property are several cabins.

As mentioned in the title, we stayed in the Wrangler cabin that is located directly across the road from the Inn. Cabin rooms include a front sitting room with a fireplace, two bedrooms and one bathroom. Based on the fireplace stonework it appears this was originally a primitive cabin and water and electricity were later added. The cabin does have a furnace. The main bedroom had a full size bed with a very soft mattress. The second bedroom had two single beds with mattresses that were in much better shape. There was a small refrigerator in the front room but no kitchen.

Breakfast (included in the room price) was great. There was quiche (a different kind each morning), a side (sausage and bacon), muffins, fruit juice and coffee. The quiche and muffins tasted as if they were made from scratch.

Personally speaking, getting to stay at the Baldpate was a check off of my bucket list, as my late parents and I had visited the Key Room many years ago. Unless you are a diehard luxury hotel freak I would give it a try.

Room Tip: The Wrangler cabin was fun. Didn't visit any guest rooms in the main lodge.
  • Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank n0uzn
Reviewed 9 August 2017

I would describe myself as easy going, and have never left a negative review for any place we've stayed, however I think people need to be warned about The Baldplate Inn.

I thought the negative reviews were maybe by very picky people because overall The Baldplate Inn has a rating of 4 (out of 5), sadly however, the bad reviews are right.

The ONLY pleasant things about our stay at The Baldplate Inn, were the complimentary breakfast, the dining area seems nice, and our server was very much above average, and the WiFi.

The rest of the Inn is a sad, dirty, smelly, decaying, heap of disrepair.

Upon climbing the steep creaky stairway with the handrail that's loose on both sides and slippery with sand from that "quaint" unpaved driveway below you reach the lobby entrance you see a filthy, tattered piece of carpet on the floor inside the door. Climbing another steep creaky stairway, covered with more dirty carpet, and with more loose handrails one reaches the toilet/bath rooms and showers , and rooms. Be careful of the carpet at the top of these stairs, there is a bump under the carpet that is a trip/fall hazard.

While the room was "rustic" or "quaint", it was musty smelling, dusty, and in need of repair. The door is so badly warped we had to pull VERY hard, or slam the door in order to engage the key lock. The only electrical outlet was damaged.

We had a "Mountain View", but couldn't leave it open to enjoy the mountain air because the fireplace smoke blew into our room. We told the man at the front desk about the smoke problem, and he briefly put out the fire, only to start it again later (it's august so the fire is only for "ambiance", so much for the NO SMOKING policy). We had booked two nights, but sacrificed one of our $145 nights to escape this dreadful "Inn".

Room Tip: Book a room at another hotel, or Inn
  • Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Joe H
Baldpate, Owner at The Baldpate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2017

Your review has been on my desk for several days as I have considered how to respond. As a family owned small business, I take very personally every guest comment and do my best to use these ideas for ways to improve our guest experiences.
I would concur with your “read the reviews” suggestion and I would add please read property descriptions when you make an online booking. We really strive to present an accurate picture of our Baldpate experience by having up to date photos and property descriptions so there are no surprises.
As I thought about that over the past few days, I acknowlege one’s definition of historic can range from gilt & gold, sparkling crystal chandeliers and broad marble staircases (which we are not) to mountain rustic, log & lace, with wood burning fireplaces, small rooms often with bathrooms down the hall, squeaky wooden staircases with handrails made from crooked tree branches oiled by 100 years of guests gripping hands (which we are) Both historic styles appeal to some guests, both styles are not a good fit for some guests. Baldpate Inn was clearly not a good fit for you.
It is true our parking lot is not a paved concrete slab, instead you traverse down a somewhat narrow dirt county road, to find us hidden in the pine forest, next door to Rocky Mountain National Park and surrounded by National Forest. Our entrance carpet is striped sand colored just for that reason! (I could not find any evidence that it is tattered anywhere)
The August date you were here our temperatures ranged from a high of 73 degrees during the day until by evening at the end of a summer rain storm it was 50 degrees. While you did not appreciate the fireplace, other guests had specifically asked us to light the fireplace to take the chill off that cooler evening air as they enjoyed our complimentary snacks and visited in our lobby.
We appreciate that you enjoyed our breakfast, staff and wifi and sorry you felt we were otherwise “dreadful.” That opinion was not clearly stated when you checked out early, instead telling our front desk staff that everything was fine. Honestly at the time better helps us immediately to identify and remedy any maintenance or housekeeping issues in a timely manner instead of a later bashing online.
Again we heartily agree your comments to read before you book so that you can arrive with clear expectations. And again we are sorry we somehow failed to represent ourselves in a way that clarified for you who we are.
I admit to totally copying this comment from my business friend, but it reflects my feelings exactly.
“I hope I'm gracious. We've worked so hard on this project and are extremely proud of it. I know it can be improved and we work toward that every year.”
Respectfully, Lois Smith, Innkeeper Chef Owner