“Loved our Meal”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Morningside - Lenox Park
Cross street: Briarcliff Road
Reviewed 27 December 2017

Floataway can be a little difficult to find since it is hidden down a small alley way, but once we found it we were very happy with our dining experience. No valet parking here. They have an ample parking lot that you can park yourself.
They have a nice bar area with about 6 bar seats and a couple tables. We arrived early and had a couple cocktails at the bar. One was gin based the other bourbon. I can’t recall their names but both were well mixed and the service was as expected from the bartender.
Once we finished up we were sat at our table. We liked the décor. It was nice yet also original. We did not have an issue having a conversation at dinner as the venue never got too loud. We did go on a week night and it was not full so I’m not sure how it would be on a Friday or Saturday evening.
We ordered a bottle of wine to enjoy with our meal. We thought the bottle prices were very reasonable. They start your meal off with bread and butter service. The bread was a wonderful sourdough that we both enjoyed greatly.
For our meal, I tried the Lamb shank and my wife tried the Casarecce. My Lamb Shank was tender and I savored ever bite. It truly was delicious. The beans and scallion it was served with were okay but the meat was easily the start of the show. As for the Casarecce it was filling and delicious too. My wife was is not a big fan of veal but wanted to try it anyway. The veal meatballs were large and delicious and the pasta was wonderful. Both dishes exceeded our expectations. To accompany the meal, we also tried the wood roasted sunchokes. I was not familiar with them and we both enjoyed how they were prepared, but walked away thinking sunchokes are not our favorite as we did not enjoy that portion of our meal as much as the others. Personally, I would try a different vegetable next time but that is just my taste.
For dessert, we tried the gateau Victoire. We thought this was okay. Again, not bad but we did not love it like we did our main. We would probably try a different dessert next time.
Service was great throughout the evening. We enjoyed our time here and we will be back to try other menu items!

Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

My wife took me here last night for my birthday. We had heard great things for years but hadn't been. She knows i love cocktails so we ordered two when we sat down. I can't tell you how they were because they never came. We waited. Then we ordered our entrees. The server Amanda let us know the drinks were coming. I went to use the restroom. After 25 minutes our food started to come. I asked the server if the cocktails were still coming, expecting her to say, "I'm so sorry. They're coming and they're on the house." But she didn't say that. She didn't offer to get us wine or anything else to go with our now-arrived food. So i asked her to cancel them if they hadn't started to make them yet. 35 minutes after ordering they still hadn't started them. Amanda blamed the new bartender. The place was 1/3 so not backed up.

We were very upset and ate our food with our tap water. Food was very good.

We quickly asked for the check and the server brought it along with two glasses of champagne. She didn't say anything about why she was bringing us champagne. Once our card came back Amanda set two forks in front of us. They brought out a cupcake with a candle for my birthday. We had a sip of bubbly and bite of the cupcake and got the hell out of there.

I've never asked to speak to a restaurant manager in my life but did last night as we left. She came up to us but didn't introduce herself so I don't know her name. She mentioned that Amanda had made a mistake (in contradiction of Amanda's contention that the new bartender was to blame). The mgr mentioned the complementary bubbly, but we were not told this courtesy was coming so we were just pissed as we ate. She apologized for not coming to our table, which was a nice apology but didn't help our situation.

This whole thing was totally avoidable. We know mistakes happen. honest communication and making the mistake right are what we'll-run restaurants do. That's restaurant 101. Last night was terrible and we'll never be back.

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

I had one of the most delicious Italian meals I have ever had. Someone in Atlanta had the bright idea to convert some old warehouses into offices and restaurants. Nestled in the rear is Floataway Cafe. If you love high-quality Italian (northern mostly), do yourself a favor and go to this place. I had veal -- which I usually avoid for humanitarian reasons -- meatballs with casarecce, a kind of rustic pasta, in marinara sauce. Exceptional. Then a very moist and rich chocolate cake for dessert (can't recall the name on the menu). Have your cardiologist on speed-dial and indulge!

Reviewed 14 August 2017

There are so many things to like about Floataway Cafe. Their online reservation system is super easy to use. Free parking is available in a private lot. The commercial office complex can be confusing because there are so many doors and walkways, many of which have no signage. Thankfully, there is a Floataway sign so keep driving the different parking lots until you see it!

The menu is limited compared with their other restaurants, but we did not have any problems finding good options. Most of the produce comes from the owners' farm outside Atlanta and you cannot get any fresher. Two of our ladies have food allergies and the kitchen made great efforts to accommodate them. Service was very good, friendly, and attentive. My table of 4 had 2 small dishes returned to the kitchen without any fuss and many apologies from the waitstaff. We couldn't have ask for a better experience and every person we came in contact with was very well trained in how to handle an 'oops' situation. We will return to try the winter menu.

My group eats out often at high end restaurants and you need to know that compared with other high end restaurants the Floataway kitchen is very slow. That was not a problem for us (we were there 2 2/5 hours) but you need to be aware of this.

Reviewed 22 July 2017

Cool place hidden away, but what an amazing meal. It overlooks a beautiful area that feels far from the city. Service was amazing as well.