“Gordon's.... To hell and back.”
Review of Southern Kitchen

Southern Kitchen
Reserve a table
Sat, 27/02
20:00
Ranked #91 of 1,607 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Noticed that ur still keeping up the good work and great food when gordon ramsay came to visit!

I watched the tv show.... Gordon's to hell and back... On ch4 10/2/21 .... Fantastic Show!!

Glad to see it's still going well.

God bless.

Date of visit: February 2021
1  Thank A9272TImatta
Write a reviewReviews (76)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed a delicious lunch at Southern Kitchen after taking a walking tour of Jackson Ward. What a treat!! The tender, buttery cornbread melted in your mouth. We ordered a "southern roll" that has the Orient meeting the south. The new twist on an egg roll contained a delightful mix of cabbage, collards, fried chicken and a special sauce . Owner, Shane, says she sources the egg roll wrappers from a local vendor who makes them fresh. "Mama's fried chicken" is the best ever with the owner's grandmother's fried chicken recipe that is delightfully crispy tender chicken complete with sides of Mac n cheese and a fabulous potato salad that is only available this month. The shrimp and grits melt in your mouth. Shane hand grates the Colby jack cheese that she uses in the dish. We ended the meal with a slice of red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. Superb!! A bottle of crisp Pinot Grigio was the perfect complement to the meal. The owner sources her wine from small select producers. We can't wait to go back and try more of her hand selected wines. The service was impeccable. Shane visited our table to check in on our experience and share info about the dishes. The restaurant's decor was fun and welcoming. Be sure to check out the peacock restroom! Overall, a great meal experience that we are looking forward to repeating very soon. Be sure to make a reservation!

Date of visit: February 2021
2  Thank cotu_tom
Reviewed 18 January 2021

Love the food, especially the salmon cakes, cornbread, macaroni and cheese and greens - Cooked fresh and well seasoned! The staff is very welcoming and atmosphere is filled with a nice medley of jazz music. Highly recommend!!!

Date of visit: January 2021
3  Thank Serenitytravel18
Reviewed 11 March 2020

No wait on weekday evening. Staff was pleasant/friendly. The cornbread was intoxicating....basically a dessert. So many items on the menu I wanted to try. Chicken livers were good w/ the greens and mashed potatoes. Mac and cheese was divine.....must come back for more. Planning my next visit to enjoy some of the appetizers and other delectables.

Date of visit: March 2020
3  Thank Nikzleez
Reviewed 29 February 2020

When friends suggested we meet them at this restaurant, I was concerned that it might taste good but would not necessarily be good for my health. I was pleasantly surprised by some of the items on the menu. I had blackened catfish that was excellent. My friend had fried chicken livers, and my wife and other friend had fried shrimp. None fo the fried food was greasy and all of our dishes were great. The service was friendly as is the owner.

Date of visit: February 2020