“Best Restaurant in Richmond”

The Grapevine Greek & Italian Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Cox Road
Transit: N/A
Description: Indulge yourself with our authentic Greek entrees, homemade Italian dishes, and Mary's incredible desserts. We know you will absolutely love our homemade moussaka, gyro platter, spanakopita, and fresh hummus. Or try our tasty eggplant parmigiana, stuffed shells, pizza, or chicken marsala! We also have an extensive wine list, including specialty & house wines. You'll want to save room for Mary's famous cannolis, baklava, or the incredible belgian mousse cake, layers of rich chocolate and chocolate fudge topped with dark chocolate flakes. The Grapevine is proudly owned & operated by the Trak family. We strive to keep the quality of food, atmosphere, & personal service impeccable standards! Dine-In; Carry Out; Private Banquet Facility offering options for Limited Menus, Buffet, or Family-Style Service; On and Off Site Catering; Concessional Services. History Established in 2001. The Grapevine tradition started with the beliefs and dreams of one man, Michael J. Trak. "Chef Mike" (as his friends and co-workers call him) came to America in 1971 with nothing more than a five-dollar bill, generations of family recipes in his pocket, and a passion for the kitchen. He cooked, baked and sauteed his way through restaurant kitchens, never missing a single day of work. On December 12, 2001, The Grapevine was opened in the Granville Square Shopping Center. The Grapevine quickly established a loyal clientele and was rated a prestigious "A" by the Richmond Times Dispatch. Michael, Mary, Mitchell, Marianne, Rita and Gabor make great efforts everyday to make their guests feel like they are family. They strive to keep the quality of food, atmosphere and service better than any chain restaurant. Chef Mike and Mary spend most of their time in the kitchen, but every now and then you will see them poke their heads out into the dining area and mingle with the guests.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our favorite restaurant! Best food and even better staff, everyone is so sweet and caring! Employees know what they’re doing and take time to actually connect with you. Not often that you find a restaurant like this one!

Date of visit: April 2021
Write a reviewReviews (279)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I brought my family here who were visiting from out of town a few weeks ago because I’d heard really good things about the restaurant, and it absolutely lived up to all the hype.
As soon as you walk in you are greeted by all of the friendly staff members, and sat down with water and fresh homemade rolls. We ordered a couple of appetizers, like the Grapevine Combo Platter that had a little bit of everything since we had a hard time choosing. The calamari was also delicious, and had a fresh tasting marinara sauce to go with it.
We were checked on often, and never ran out of drinks or food. The owner and the staff were clearly very experienced and efficient. My salmon was cooked perfectly, and everyone in my family raved about their meals as well. We finished off the night with some homemade baklava cheesecake, which was phenomenal.
I don’t write reviews very often, but I really thought this place was worth the extra effort, and I 100% recommend them to anyone in the area or visiting for great food, service, prices, atmosphere, and portions. You will not be disappointed, and you will not leave hungry. Most of us even got two meals out of our dinners!

Date of visit: March 2021
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

It pains me to write this, but this was the WORST Greek meal I have ever had worldwide. I love and support family owned restaurants with a neat story, but the food is AWFUL. The chef from CA who commented on 10MAR21 was right, unfortunately I must agree with him that they use mass produced products. The Spanakopita looks suspiciously pre-fab like what you can buy at Costco, Trader Joes, Lidl, etc. You get five (5) small triangles for $8...you can buy a box of 24 at Costco for $10. In the Moussaka the potatoes were barely par-cooked, and there must be a shortage of Bechemel but clearly not of tomato paste. And, I found pasta in it, which belongs in the Pastitsio. I'll bet this place was awesome at one point, with it's family story and friendly service which still are present, but the food is TERRIBLE!

Date of visit: April 2021
Reviewed 27 March 2021

Ingive them a big WAOOOO at all levels . Very friendly , respectful atmosphere , delicious food ...... congratulation

Date of visit: February 2021
Reviewed 19 March 2021

LOVE! Look no further for awesome Greek & Italian fare! Beyond their great fare the team is awesome; you’d think they’re all blood relatives (some are ;-)! Their commitment to excellence & community partnership is unparalleled! Food is great, service is ~perfect, & atmosphere is friendly & family; COVID-safe too of course (sit on the Veranda!); looking for a venue they have banquet/party room(s) & will accommodate special requests

Date of visit: March 2021