“Fantastic History Lesson”

Agecroft Hall
Ranked #9 of 185 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Agecroft Hall is an authentic 16th century English manor house. It was was taken apart,shipped across the Atlantic, and reassembled in Virginia in the 1920s. Today Agecoft Hall is open for tours, special events, educational programs, and is home of The Richmond Shakespeare Festival.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Had a great time with Terry and Katie. Terry's tour was filled with historical information that is not part of a traditional home tour. I enjoyed her attention to detail with pointing out the unique features of the house.

The gardens were gorgeous and I plan to return to see them in an another season.

All reviews
"grounds are beautiful"
"gift shop"
"visiting richmond"

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Constructed hundreds of years ago in Britain, this home was disassembled and moved to Richmond with the blessing of Sir Winston Churchill himself in 1926. Although none of the furnishings are original to the house, they are still hundreds of years old. The gardens, overlooking the Mighty James River, are gorgeous. Try to come in late April if possible. But the thing I enjoyed most about it is the entire neighborhood of Windsor Farms. What an architectural treat!! Hundreds of exquisite homes on large, level lots built in a sort of circular plan would cost you a cool million or more. Fantastic place to stroll and meet some neighbors. If you come to the Richmond area and don't do this, you've made a mistake!!

Reviewed February 4, 2018 via mobile

I am not sure what I was expecting when I decided to visit Agecroft but I was stunned when I arrived. This house is amazing. It is a third of the original Agecroft that was built in England and had a five hundred plus history there before it was purchased by TC Williams and shipped to the states. The gardens were a little sorry but it is still winter so I could let it go. The staff was super helpful and the lady who turned out to be my guide showed me to the special exhibit and opened the gift shop for me. The house itself was fascinating with interesting history so different than you find in most US historic homes. It is a must if you are in Richmond.

Katie R, Front Office Manager at Agecroft Hall, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you back here for another visit in the future. Our gardens will be in bloom soon!

Regards,
Manager of Tour Services

Reviewed February 3, 2018

Recently visited this beautiful English Tudor home and toured it with an excellent tour guide. She was very knowledgeable and knew a lot of details of the house and it's history. Since it was early in the year and not many visitors she took the time to explain everything in detail. Unfortunately the gardens and the vista were not very attractive at this time of the year but still worth walking through.

1  Thank kaaskop2015