“Not a great venue”
Review of Regattabar

Regattabar
Reviewed 19 March 2017

If you are looking for lively, feel the music, move around.....this is not the place. It is on 3rd floor of a nice hotel, and the space feels a bit "tame" or maybe "corporate" is the best word I can think of. The small tables are very close together, with 4 chairs around each table. Other high top tables in back of the room.

The clientele is the worst, though. What a sad sack group (with a few exceptions) who were at the excellent and very exciting show we went to. But people just sit there like they're at a seminar.
Regatta Bar seems to attract a certain " type" -- a rather bookish, disinterested, and inhibited crowd.
Bottom line: not an especially fun place.

Reviewed 12 March 2017

I've been to the Regattabar many times over the years. We recently saw Ethan Iverson ( of the Bad Plus ) with his new trio, including drummer Victor Lewis. The set was great. What put me off a bit though was being seated next to the bar. It's noisy, particularly early in the set when they are serving lots of drinks, and they have a refrigeration unit that goes off and on, very annoying when a quieter piece is performed.

Couple of suggestions: put in a sound screen between the bar and the tables, this is not hard to do nor too expensive. Right now they have some plants that are more of a cosmetic shield than anything else. Maybe you could clean enough glasses and break up enough ice in advance so you wouldn't have to do it during the performance.

The other annoying thing is how seating is assigned. Supposedly it is based on when you booked. According to the website where you buy your tickets. However, we were in a line of six parties, and everyone wound up one table after another, it would be a crazy coincidence to think that we all booked right after each other at the same time weeks before the show. In fact I asked the folks seated next to us ( and in front) they booked that day, we booked 2 weeks prior. They were in front of us. I think the hostess just put us where she wanted to fill in on that night.

We have precious few places to see live jazz in this town so I want this club to continue but I fear it is more of an afterthought for the hotel or whoever operates the club.

1  Thank cjmarkie
Reviewed 10 November 2016

Am a semi-regular to jazz shows at Regattabar (get there 4-6 times a year). The space is pleasant enough, and they sometimes book marvelous musicians, but staffing is a constant problem. The wait staff usually comes by just once during an 80-90 minute show, and even then I often need wave to grab their attention. Takes away the pleasure of good jazz performance.

1  Thank alanspatrick
Reviewed 1 August 2016

It's been awhile since I attended a concert at the Regattabar, so the venue's decline struck me more than it might have otherwise. It took 45 minutes (!) into the performance for our drink order to be taken -- this on a night when there were many unoccupied seats. Also, people were talking continuously all around us; my repeated requests that they stop doing so were ignored. At least five people had their smartphones open (they were using them to text, share photos, etc.), which cast unwelcome bright slivers of light in the darkened room. Regattabar is not truly a bar; it is a concert venue for which customers have paid the admission price and possibly also are paying for pricey garage parking in the Charles Hotel. Management owes it to people who have come to actually listen to music vs. to schmooze with their pals to articulate a policy of no talking/texting/smartphone use during the performances.

1  Thank critiquer862