Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Alaska Native Heritage Center
from US$101.54
More Info
1,646 results
All reviews native games gathering place story telling native groups answer questions guided tour for sale rainy day dwellings homes demonstration housing displays storytelling alaska performed
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 May 2021 via mobile

Junior is a very knowledgeable member of the staff & help with the Alaskan Native Games exhibition & was also our guide on the Vilages tour.

He was really good with our kids & answered lots of questions. He's also pretty funny.

The whole place is very interesting to anyone that wants to learn about Native Alaskan Cultures. It's NOT like in the movies.

So we visited with Junior quite a lot but all of the staff & members were great. We watched the Native Games, went on the Vilage Sites Guided Tour, watched some of the films in the theatre, and the Dance Performance.

I'd say watch the dancers & a Village Tour for sure but everything was good.

Date of experience: May 2021
2  Thank 98mathewg
Reviewed 18 September 2020

My wife and I visited the Native Heritage Center on 9/12/2020. The dance group was good. To me, the best thing about the dance presentation was the information given between selections. Note: these are not professional dancers. Most members of the group are teenagers who are learning about their heritage, and they do a great job.

The tour of the native dwellings was the highlight of our visit. Our guides were a pair of teenagers, but their presentation and their knowledge of the subject rivaled that of the best teachers I've seen in my life (I spent 40 years as a teacher in public and private education).

We visited the artifact displays inside the building after touring the dwellings outside. I really recommend that others do the same because the information I got on the tour made the displays far more meaningful.

I would certainly recommend a visit to the Alaskan Native Heritage Center to anyone who is visiting Anchorage and who is interested in the history of Alaska.

Date of experience: September 2020
3  Thank JamesB5294
Reviewed 6 August 2020 via mobile

I was glad the museum was open, using all safeguards. I enjoyed the dancing, storytelling and demonstration of native games. The examples of various types of housing and tour about different communities was interesting. Finally, they have some exhibits and films that add to your understanding of the diversity of cultures in the area. A terrific way to spend a rainy day!

Date of experience: July 2020
1  Thank KarenR615
Reviewed 30 July 2020

Well worth the stop. All the guide are native Alaska young adults from different tribes and cultures, so you get a lot of fist hand knowledge and experience.

Date of experience: July 2020
Reviewed 29 June 2020 via mobile

I take most of my visitors here since it’s a great way to learn about Alaska. Very unique museum and beautiful outdoors too. Love the traditional dances.

Date of experience: July 2019