“Great views, decent food, average service, management issues”

Fish Hopper Seafood and Steaks
Reserve a table
Wed, 21/04
20:00
OR
Get food delivered
Ranked #23 of 246 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Price range: US$10 - US$60
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Alii Drive
Description: Fish Hopper Seafood & Steaks - Kailua-Kona Experience the beauty of the Pacific Ocean at The Fish Hopper Seafood and Steaks, overlooking Kailua Bay on the Big Island Hawaii. Enjoy fresh Big Island seafood and a selection of seafood flown in weekly from the mainland's west coast. Join us for Kona's longest Happy Hour from 2pm - 9:30pm every day! We have a variety of mixed drinks including our signature Bucket of Fire, Flaming Volcano and gluten free Big Island Mai Tai! This is the perfect oceanfront location to gather with friends! We are within walking distance to shops and historic sites in Kailua-Kona. Our restaurant is a landmark (formerly the Ocean View Inn) and has been a local favorite since 1934. The Fish Hopper has been beautifully restored to expand upon its spectacular ocean views. Every seat has a view! We proudly serve seafood from sustainable sources, harvested by methods that do not harm the environment. Open daily from 7am - 930pm.
Reviewed 5 March 2021

Well the title about says it all. First the good. The food was probably a bit above average in quality and presentation. It is also a bit above average in price which would be OK if the service and management were also in that category. The views are really nice in the open air dining room and we had a good table.

Now for the not so good. We had a reservation but frankly it didn't appear it meant anything. We got there maybe 5 minutes early and had to wait over an hour to get a table - and the line was very long. A short wait is completely acceptable as a well run restaurant can't accurately forecast when everyone will get up and leave. However it really did appear that they just took reservations with no sense of capacity limits or forecasts. This is a management issue. Service was sufficient and friendly but just average. Nothing to get excited about.

Generally we liked the food and atmosphere well enough to return, but might not unless they get their act together a little better, learn how to manage reservations, and train the staff better.

2  Thank RC30319
Write a reviewReviews (4,048)

Reviewed 3 March 2021

Food was meh. Drinks were meh. View was amazing. If you use their suggested tip amounts, I’d recommend checking them as they are significantly inflated and do not actually represent 15, 20% etc. Save yourselves the cash and double check the math.

Reviewed 28 February 2021

I had the Monchong fish dinner with Rrisotto for $33.95. It was outstanding, and well prepared. The portion was a good size. My wife had the 10 oz. Filet Mignon ($44.95), which was also very delicious. They serve "prime" meat here. The meat could melt in you mouth. Not very "splashy" inside, but good quality food. Get a seat next to the ocean.

1  Thank BeachPerson19380
Reviewed 23 February 2021

We have been on the Big Island for 16 days and have been out to a different restaurant every night. Of the 16 nights only 2 restaurants will get a bad review....this being one of them. The first surprise was when I ordered a martini and asked for the dirty rocks on the side. The waitress looked at me like I had 3 heads....she asked if that meant I wanted olives in my lemon drop martini.....oh boy! So, after explaining what "dirty rocks" was I went on to order a $38 special consisting of (according to the menu) grilled Nairagi, Shrimp, artichoke hearts, chopped tomatoes, basil over cheese ravioli. Sounds GREAT! When our dishes arrived a didn't see any shrimp nor where there any artichoke hearts. The dish didn't even taste great....I called the waitress over and told her what was missing and she agreed about the shrimp but insisted that the artichokes where INSIDE the ravioli's. UMMMM....NO the menu said cheese raviolis. So a bus boy came over with two tiny shrimp on a sandwich size plate to have me throw them into my incomplete dinner which cost $38! I couldn't believe it...I asked for the manager. He came by and I told him what was missing and asked that he follow up with the chef. My new meal came out WITH the shrimp (2 tiny ones) AND the artichokes (just a quarter of one). He apologized and indicated the kitchen was busy. Couldn't believe it! By the time I got my meal my boyfriend had already eaten his (couldn't make him wait and get cold. This was a $100 dinner and VERY over rated! The manager did comp us 2 desserts which was appreciated however, I wouldn't recommend either of these desserts....spoiler alert, creme brûlée was topped off with COOL WHIP!!

2  Thank Thing123456
Reviewed 18 February 2021 via mobile

Drinks were good but not overly plentiful of alcohol. Food was good but I've had better. Our server was fabulous. Probably won't return.