““Catching” is the word!”

Kona Hawaii Fishing with Capt. Jeff Rogers
Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

“Catching” is right on Jeff’s boat...a 101-lb. yellow-fin tuna. Huge fight. Jeff knows what he’s doing. Great outing!!!

All reviews
"boats"
"100lb"
"40lb"

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

May 25 was my second time out with Captain Jeff on the Aloha Kai and he once again did not disappoint. I’ve reeled in 7 different species of fish on this boat in 2 trips and that’s due to the many techniques used by Jeff, including speed jigging, which you may not find on any other charter in Kona.

If you are looking for active fishing/catching as opposed to trolling all day long waiting on a bite then book the Aloha Kai!!

Reviewed 28 May 2018

I had to think about this review of Captain Jeff Rogers for awhile before posting it.

Let’s start with the good stuff. Jeff Rogers is very knowledgeable about deep sea fishing around Kailua-Kona, both where and how to find fish. He can and does run six lines at a time on quality equipment, and he will absolutely work his tail off to make sure that that those lines are working for you at all times. If equipment gets jammed, lure comes off or gets bitten off, whatever….he gets it back on line quickly so that you can fish, which is what you’re paying for. Technically he knows his stuff, you can absolutely rely on that, he is less expensive than other boats, and he was fair with the share of the fish we caught at the end of the day, and he expertly fileted our share for us. No complaints on any of that, but for clarification you might want to see my comments right at the very end.

Now…..with all that good side came an unfortunate down side in my opinion. If you’re an inexperienced fisherman and make a mistake with his equipment, Jeff Rogers is not a patient guy, and you’re going to get yelled at. You may be in fact be made to feel like you’re stupid, rather than a valued paying customer patiently taught how to do it better. I know I did. He yelled so loud at my 80-year old brother in law for touching a lever on his Shimano gear, it felt like they could hear him three miles away on shore. If a lure comes off or gets bitten off you’re going to hear him lament how much it costs him to replace. If you’re in his way you’re not going to be asked to move, you’ll be told you’re in his way with no “please move” attached. And since its only a 35’ foot boat with a relatively small afterdeck, if there are more than two of you aboard sharing six simultaneous lines someone will ALWAYS be in the way, so you do the math on that one. Bedside manner is not his strong suit, and we actually cut our day a little short because we grew a little tired of his style. I admit that fishing absolutely is his strength, which is why I gave him 4 stars. After all we did have fun catching 5 Ono and several tuna.He'd have gotten 5 stars, a larger tip than the $120 we paid him, and a better review were it not for his abrasive style.

So if you can deal with an ex-military guy who absolutely will not coddle you or your party, but who knows his stuff, then Jeff Rogers is a good choice. If you can’t take being yelled at, really don’t want to be yelled at or talked down to because you're not a pro at using his gear, and don’t care to repeatedly hear how much his lures and equipment are costing him when the fish bite them off then Jeff Rodgers is probably not your guy.

Finally, there's this quote on his website: 'Income from the sale of fish is a calculated part of the boat and crews income. There's a few of us here (like me) that don't play that game."

I certainly don't buy that. Of the 5 Ono we came back with, he kept four....all of which he sold right there on the dock via cell phone while we were still there. Certainly looks to me like he plays what he calls "that game" so why pretend otherwise on his web site, I have no idea.

Capt Jeff R, Owner at Kona Hawaii Fishing with Capt. Jeff Rogers, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2018

You don't have to read very many of my reviews to see that "coddling" is not my strong suit but catching fish sure is. On every trip while I'm getting the lines out I give a thorough explanation to everyone on the boat on how the equipment works, how to use it and give everyone a practice run so they can operate the equipment themselves. The most important thing I explain is "never ever, ever, touch this lever". I'm often asked "have you ever had anyone yanked off the boat by a fish" and the answer is "yes I have" and it's ALWAYS because of that lever. For some people, telling them that you can't touch that lever is like telling a 2 year old that you can't have that cookie right there on the table.

Yes the cockpit (aterdeck) isn't very big but more so, it's loud! The sound of two V8 diesels running is so loud that with your phone set on the highest ringer sound, you won't hear it ring unless it's right near your head just to give you an idea. This makes talking loudly a necessity. On the day we caught those ono, I found some floating debris and we caught all 5 of those in about 45 minutes. When the bite is hot and fast, things move very quickly. Always my first priority is safety! Next comes "don't bust up my fishing gear" followed closely by "let's get those fish". On this trip, as the angler grabbed the lever and threw the reel into free spool, I saw him doing it and I quickly turned and yelled WHOA! as I grabbed the spool and prevented the mess and I did scold him for doing what he was told to never do. After that, I was sure that he wouldn't attempt to do it again. Maybe I should add to my morning instructions that if you do mess with that lever, you might get scolded.

After fish photos on the dock I asked the customer how many he wanted me to fillet up for him. He said "one" and I even had him choose which one. Another captain and I had talked to during the day knew I had a bunch of fish. At the dock he called me and asked if he could "have" one. I told him he could "have" two. He sent his deckhand over to get them. I didn't "sell them at the dock" and no money changed hands. I also needed to get rid of the remaining two so I filleted them up for another friend. I didn't play any "game" with the fish. This guy says "no complaints" about the fish and then goes right ahead and complains about it but even if I did take them to the fish market to sell. So What. Thanks for the 4 stars though.

Reviewed 15 May 2018

Captain Jeff Rogers gave us an excellent experience on his boat and was succesful in guiding us to four strikes of which we were able to execute two successful catches. A 40lb spearfish and a 100lb yellow fin tuna. One of the most impressive parts of the trip was the time he took to explain the gear on the boat and how to use it properly. Captain Jeff is not a tour guide he is a captain of a fishing charter so he is there to catch you fish. If you are looking for a site seeing tour or a dinner cruise with champagne and appies this is not your trip. If you are not operating the gear properly and risking losing the fish you are going to hear about it. I have been on many of these charters and the crew typically will be quite animated and loud. If you are easily offended, Captain Jeff is not your Captain. He is the captain you are the crew, and when your catch hits the inside of the boat deck you will be able to say "I caught that fish". Captain Jeff filleted the Spearfish immediately and packaged it up on Ice for us to take home at the end of the trip. As we had more fish than we could possibly eat we left the tuna Whole and Captain Jeff ,I assume took it to market. If I was going to recommend anything to captain Jeff I suggest that if he is going to grab a beer for the ride home, that perhaps he would offer his guests one as well Also as an added revenue stream he could offer a Shirt or Beer coozy, or hat ONLY for the people who catch fish(at a cost) that sais something like " Caught my fill with Captain Jeff" . Over all a great day and I would not hesitate when we return to Hire Jeff again .

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

My wife and I went catching on the Aloha Kai yesterday with Captain Jeff. He did not disappoint. Though I’ve fished here and there offshore I’ve never fished Hawaii and believe me, it’s great. We hooked up with 3 short-billed spearfish, a skipjack tuna and a huge sand bar shark. I’m not sure I’ve been more exhausted after going catching. Captain Jeff was more than willing to fillet one of the spearfish for us to take with us. His experience in this fishery was obvious and he employs some very innovative techniques for catching fish here. Captain Jeff is no nonsense where fishing is concerned and a pleasure to spend a day out on the water with.
If you are looking for a luxury boat with an a$$ kissing captain that coddles you then you probably should search elsewhere. However, if you want to fish on a comfortable boat with a captain that specializes in catching then look no further!
Thanks Captain Jeff for a great and memorable day of fishing in Kona!!

P.S.
If you play your cards right you may even get to sample some of his smoked marlin! It’s really good!