“Awesome experience!!!”

Kona Hawaii Fishing with Capt. Jeff Rogers
Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

My wife and I went catching on the Aloha Kai yesterday with Captain Jeff. He did not disappoint. Though I’ve fished here and there offshore I’ve never fished Hawaii and believe me, it’s great. We hooked up with 3 short-billed spearfish, a skipjack tuna and a huge sand bar shark. I’m not sure I’ve been more exhausted after going catching. Captain Jeff was more than willing to fillet one of the spearfish for us to take with us. His experience in this fishery was obvious and he employs some very innovative techniques for catching fish here. Captain Jeff is no nonsense where fishing is concerned and a pleasure to spend a day out on the water with.
If you are looking for a luxury boat with an a$$ kissing captain that coddles you then you probably should search elsewhere. However, if you want to fish on a comfortable boat with a captain that specializes in catching then look no further!
Thanks Captain Jeff for a great and memorable day of fishing in Kona!!

P.S.
If you play your cards right you may even get to sample some of his smoked marlin! It’s really good!

All reviews
"spearfish"
in 6 reviews
"trevally"

Reviewed 6 April 2018

I've been on a few charters... Well I've actually been on more than a few charters. Capt. Rogers was as expected. If you read what he's written on his website and email with him a couple times, or make a phone call, you'll have a pretty good idea of what and who he is. He keeps it 100%. I found the guy friendly, outgoing, charming, fun, boisterous, egotistical at times and driven to succeed. Basically he's a fisherman's fisherman (whats the gender neutral way to say that?). To get the most out of Capt. Jeff 1st and foremost be clear about your expectations before you book and listen to what he says. Secondly do what you say your going to do. I had zero trouble with Capt Jeff on a personal level.

I was on the island for work. I only had the 2nd and last day of my trip to possibly do some fishing. Bringing home protein is how I offset the cost of traveling for work that may not pay what I'm used to at home (California). After a couple of email's with Capt. Jeff i set up a BOAT SHARE. This meant i would literally be chartering half the boat for half the price. It also meant I would be fishing with a stranger. The fish caught on my side of the boat for the 1st half of the day would be mine to land and the gentleman who chartered the other half of the boat and I would switch sides about halfway thru the day. Split of the haul is 50/50 if so desired by either party.

We trolled and caught a good number of skipjack on light tackle (still pretty heavy), that was a blast! Rods out of holders into the fighting belt and away you go. This is the fishing I'm most familiar with. I would end up taking home 5 of these. we used a couple others for bait when bottom fishing. About half way thru the day we hooked up on something pretty decent sized on the larger boat rods, but after a short fight the fish got the better of me. Just as the trip was winding down an Ahi found one of Jeff's custom G Bottle Lures and I landed him from the fighting chair. All in all Hawaiian fishery is some of the most physically demanding fishing I have ever done. The weather was beautiful. After each fight I was beat. That's when Capt. Jeff really shines. He humanely finishes the fish off and puts it on ice, cleans the deck, and resets in about 30 seconds. He gave me a tuna heart to eat (1st time yum) while i was recovering with a nice cold beer. All this while he's already got the lines back out and is driving the boat from the aft deck. As any fisherman knows you can't catch anything without hooks in the water.

We pulled back into harbor and turtles came from everywhere. Capt. Rogers filleted all the fish for me while I sat back and relaxed on the dock. It takes a while to cut all that meat so we had a good amount of time to talk without the noisy boat engines. Honestly I'm going to miss fishing with Jeff. I'll book again next time I'm out his way. Came home with 55# of fish that took up 2/3 of a Yeti 45 that left room to flash freeze with 20# of dry ice. Successfully kept the fish frozen for the 5 days of my trip (one dry ice refill). Replaced the dry ice ice with 10# of yeti ice (blue ice) and newspaper for the flight home. Fish arrived home frozen solid. slow thaw in the fridge and on my 1st day back and we had some AMAZING SUSHI! That look on the wife's face made it all worth it.

P.S. READ HIS FAQ and ask questions BEFORE you book.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

My wife and I chartered the 'Aloha Kai' with Captain Jeff on our first trip together to the Big Island to celebrate our 5th anniversary. This was our first time on a private charter and first time fishing warm water. Captain Jeff made the experience both memorable and fun.

Lucky for me, my wife left all the fishing to me, since she regularly out fishes me when we fish at home in the Monterey Bay. We started out trolling and ended up landing a few Skipjack Tuna. After a while we went bottom fishing using some of the tuna for bait and we landed and released a Sandbar Shark, followed by two Amberjacks! It was great fun to be hooked up and in the fighting chair. Following that excitement we trolled some more looking for the elusive billfish.

My wife was able to relax and enjoy the day on the water. I was able to catch my largest fish and shark ever. Captain Jeff even shared some of his lunch with us, what a guy! On the way back to the harbor he hoisted some flags to indicate our catch (and successful releases), which was a new to us and pretty cool to see. He filleted some tuna for us to take home which we then shared with family. Thanks again Captain Jeff, we hope we can come back again sometime!

Reviewed 23 February 2018

My husband and I booked a fishing charter with Captain Jeff Rogers before we departed for our trip to the big island. We had wanted to do a fishing charter for years but always refrained from completing one in the midst of our vacation due to cost. This year we decided to book our charter before we departed for our vacation to be sure we followed through on a dream we've had for years. We weren't sure what to expect and began having second thoughts before our fishing charter as the cost seemed like so much. We were pleasantly surprised with with our charter. Mike, the second half of our charter was a blessing to meet. We enjoyed getting to know him and Captain Jeff Rogers made sure we all were happy with our trip. He pulled out all of the stops to ensure we had a great time. Fishing is never guaranteed but he was able to help us land a few tuna, a shark and a giant trevally. Although there are no guarantees when fishing, we feel it was money well spent. Eight hours out on the ocean with great company was a treat. The fish...that was a bonus. Thank you Captain Jeff Rogers for a great day of fishing, we will be looking you up next year when we return to the big island and, without a doubt, will do our second charter.

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

I have been on 100's of charters and never once, even when not catching fish, have been disappointed by the captain. For starters, captain Jeff will show you what to do and have you practice reeling and guiding your line while fighting a fish, while my father, 81 years old, was being instructed Capt Jeff Rogers literally was smacking my father's hand telling him no, wrong way and with a tone of voice I knew was gonna make for a long day. We told him we would like to catch fish we could keep and take back with us. What does he do? He washes the same 6 lures that are used for marlin for 8 hours, yes that's right, 8 hours!! Never once changing , never once asking if we would like to jig, as he advertises and we actually wanted to FISH. Capt Jeff was out for himself and a waste of money . Find someone with a personality as he doesn't have one. Oh and if you like your captain that is guiding you in the ocean to drink beer.. look no further, he's your guy! I will say we did catch one big eye about 20 lbs which is the only reason he got one star and zero isn't an option

4  Thank Jason D
Capt Jeff R, Owner at Kona Hawaii Fishing with Capt. Jeff Rogers, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2018

Why is it that most of these people who write bad reviews also find it necessary to also lie about the trip? No, I’m not talking about his “100’s of charters” because that could possibly be true. His fishing experience is from Alaska but I know for a fact that this was his very first time fishing in Hawaii. What he did lie about is that all we did was troll marlin lures for 8 hours. Then how did we catch that 20lb. bigeye tuna? It certainly wasn't on a marlin lure. We also caught a mackerel. That's what I used for bait for bottom fishing. I was hoping to catch more than just one but they just weren't biting as good as they were just the trip before or on the trip the day after. We cleared the trolling lines to do the bottom fishing and that's where Jason screwed it up by forgetting to guide his line. He had never used reels that didn’t have a level wind guide that puts the line back and forth across the reel for you. Big game reels don’t have those. The other people on the boat had no problems with that task. I don't think Jason was happy about being called out on that. I sent that one mackerel to the bottom and it got slammed by a big fish but the fish stole the bait so I went back to trolling. I was hoping to catch more tuna or mackerel but it just didn't happen.

Jason spent most of the trip in the cabin with his dad and we had very little interaction throughout the day while his brother Ken, the one that booked the trip with me and his wife spent most of the day on the bridge talking. We had a great time together and Ken mentioned that he was and did have a good time several times. Was I "smacking" his dad's hand? No. I did grab the top of his hand to show him the proper way to guide line. Jason and I talked a little about halibut jigging but he had no idea that the style he uses in Alaska for halibut is totally different that the speed jigging done here in Hawaii. I can only assume that his expectation of a Hawaii fishing trip was suppose to be just like one of his Alaska trips. Jason was also looking to fill up the rather large cooler that he brought to fill with fish fillets. That's also an Alaska thing. Going on a "meat hunt" can be quite different in Hawaii. They're two totally different fisheries. I usually pop a Coors Light on the way back to the harbor but I'm NEVER drinking throughout the day as Jason would have you believe.