“Worst charter I've been on”

Kona Hawaii Fishing with Capt. Jeff Rogers
Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

I have been on 100's of charters and never once, even when not catching fish, have been disappointed by the captain. For starters, captain Jeff will show you what to do and have you practice reeling and guiding your line while fighting a fish, while my father, 81 years old, was being instructed Capt Jeff Rogers literally was smacking my father's hand telling him no, wrong way and with a tone of voice I knew was gonna make for a long day. We told him we would like to catch fish we could keep and take back with us. What does he do? He washes the same 6 lures that are used for marlin for 8 hours, yes that's right, 8 hours!! Never once changing , never once asking if we would like to jig, as he advertises and we actually wanted to FISH. Capt Jeff was out for himself and a waste of money . Find someone with a personality as he doesn't have one. Oh and if you like your captain that is guiding you in the ocean to drink beer.. look no further, he's your guy! I will say we did catch one big eye about 20 lbs which is the only reason he got one star and zero isn't an option

4  Thank Jason D
Capt Jeff R, Owner at Kona Hawaii Fishing with Capt. Jeff Rogers, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2018

Why is it that most of these people who write bad reviews also find it necessary to also lie about the trip? No, I’m not talking about his “100’s of charters” because that could possibly be true. His fishing experience is from Alaska but I know for a fact that this was his very first time fishing in Hawaii. What he did lie about is that all we did was troll marlin lures for 8 hours. Then how did we catch that 20lb. bigeye tuna? It certainly wasn't on a marlin lure. We also caught a mackerel. That's what I used for bait for bottom fishing. I was hoping to catch more than just one but they just weren't biting as good as they were just the trip before or on the trip the day after. We cleared the trolling lines to do the bottom fishing and that's where Jason screwed it up by forgetting to guide his line. He had never used reels that didn’t have a level wind guide that puts the line back and forth across the reel for you. Big game reels don’t have those. The other people on the boat had no problems with that task. I don't think Jason was happy about being called out on that. I sent that one mackerel to the bottom and it got slammed by a big fish but the fish stole the bait so I went back to trolling. I was hoping to catch more tuna or mackerel but it just didn't happen.

Jason spent most of the trip in the cabin with his dad and we had very little interaction throughout the day while his brother Ken, the one that booked the trip with me and his wife spent most of the day on the bridge talking. We had a great time together and Ken mentioned that he was and did have a good time several times. Was I "smacking" his dad's hand? No. I did grab the top of his hand to show him the proper way to guide line. Jason and I talked a little about halibut jigging but he had no idea that the style he uses in Alaska for halibut is totally different that the speed jigging done here in Hawaii. I can only assume that his expectation of a Hawaii fishing trip was suppose to be just like one of his Alaska trips. Jason was also looking to fill up the rather large cooler that he brought to fill with fish fillets. That's also an Alaska thing. Going on a "meat hunt" can be quite different in Hawaii. They're two totally different fisheries. I usually pop a Coors Light on the way back to the harbor but I'm NEVER drinking throughout the day as Jason would have you believe.

All reviews
"boats"
"100lb"
"40lb"

Reviewed 30 December 2017

My family of six went fishing with Captain Jeff recently, and I chose him after having read the trip advisor reports carefully. What impressed me was the fact that his website openly indicates that the odds of catching fish vary among seasons and among species. He is clearly very knowledgeable and honest. Some people found him a bit lacking in "bedside manners" but there are real safety issues on any boat and especially with the kind of fish and gear that are involved in Kona. His gear were all in great shape, the boat was well-organized and laid-out, and he gave 100%. The wind came up and conditions were not favorable for bottom fishing but that is the way it goes. If you cannot stand going fishless (OK, we got a small tuna) then you have no business going fishing. If you make a mistake he will let you know, but that is a lot better than having an accident. I found him to be great company up on the bridge and I had a fine time talking about all kinds of things.

Reviewed 17 September 2017

We booked with Capt Jeff with expectations of utilizing his years of experience fishing the waters off Kona Hawaii. We picked him because he states he does not just troll the ocean for four or six hours, he used all techniques to find fish. Not saying it was his fault, but the afternoon before the planned trip he calls and says his boat engine overheated so he could not take us out. He then says he has another fellow Capt he could recommend that he has confidence in. Unfortunately the Captain he recommended started trolling and trolled for the next four hours of a trip booked for six hours. We couldn't take it anymore and had him take us back to the marina. We didn't get a single nibble.

4  Thank lsimmons2017
Capt Jeff R, Owner at Kona Hawaii Fishing with Capt. Jeff Rogers, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2017

If I could rank this review, this one ranks near the top as one of the most unfair reviews I have. “Bait and Switch” makes it sound like I intended for that pipe to break on one of my engines causing me to be down for a week and a $1,417 repair bill. “Not saying it was his fault, but”, yes, you are saying it was my fault and rated ME as “terrible” because of it. You’re also saying that it’s my fault that the other captain isn’t a carbon copy of me, my techniques and abilities. The captain that took you out has more experience than me and when I called him to talk about this review; he was in Las Vegas spending some of his winnings from 2 tournament wins this summer. He also told me that one person in your party was sea sick the whole trip and that’s why you wanted to go in early. How dishonest!

Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

Had a blast on the Aloha Kai shared charter with captain Jeff and a few friendly folks!

I've been on a few other fishing charters in Hawaii that only trolled all day with no luck at all. Not the case on the Aloha Kai.

Captain Jeff will change fishing styles accordingly to ensure you get on some fish and give you a hands on experience. We trolled the morning looking for tuna and Marlin(both currently in season) and the bite was not on but we managed to snag some mackerel to use as live bait. Captain Jeff pulled off of trolling and dropped bait down to the bottom where we caught three sharks and a I pulled up a 60lbs Giant Trevally(Ulua in Hawaii)- a trophy fish I have always wanted to catch!

I will definitely book the Aloha Kai in the future!

Mahalo Jeff!

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 July 2017

I had booked two trips a long way in advance only to be hobbled by a medical ailment a week or so before arriving on the Big Island that prevented me from fishing. No problem though. Our group still had a blast and I'm literally counting down the days until I can return to fish-fighting shape and go back and participate. I have fished in a lot of places around the world and in the US with some guys you might see on TV shows Saturday morning. Captain Rogers is as good as any I have ever seen. Mixing in the bottom fishing is a really great touch and so I would recommend only ever doing the full day to maximize time trolling and dropping. I can't even fathom a comment I see made on Trip Advisor about the boat being 'disorganized'. The first thing one of our party remarked on was just how well organized everything is. When you are doing the job of two people out on the water you can't have a disorganized boat and survive in the charter game so just ignore that one. 6 out of 5.