“Best BBQ shrimp po boy in town!”
Review of Mandina's

Mandina's
Ranked #165 of 1,872 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Italian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night
Neighborhood: Mid-City
Description: Closed due to damage sustained in Hurricane Katrina.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A friendly local recommended this place for the gumbo and turtle soup... Both were incredible! BBQ shrimp po boy was on special and man did it deliver - a pool of delicious BBQ sauce overflowing with shrimp on the perfect poboy bread. And our incredibly friendly and knowledgeable waiter managed to make this 5 star meal even better! He explained the menu, suggested some sights to see and just overall made us feel really welcome. Thank you kind waiter with the Grey hair and eyebrow ring! We'll be back!

Date of visit: February 2021
Write a reviewReviews (942)

Reviewed 14 December 2020 via mobile

The half portion of shrimp poboy was fantastic! Service was good and we had no wait— came for late lunch. Had to try the bread pudding which was not a disappointment!! Kudos to this local place!

Date of visit: December 2020
1  Thank BeBe53207
Reviewed 19 October 2020 via mobile

I had the roast beef poboy
Not sure how you ruin a poboy, but they did it. The turlte soup was palatable. The others had the etouffee and both agreed it was not very good. Just seemed like no one really cared about food quality.

Date of visit: October 2020
1  Thank zzzrn
Reviewed 11 July 2020

Great friendly service. Very strict w social distancing and sanitizer readily available.

It’s atmosphere is lively but it’s difficult to gage in the pandemic situation.

The food was impressive from a taste. price, quantity and quality standpoint.

The spaghetti and meatballs sauce was outstanding. The meatballs generous and tasty.

I ordered half a shrimp sandwich and thought the waiter brought out a whole sandwich. He said that is the half. I couldn’t eat it all.

I guess I was expecting Mandina’s to be like Venezia’s which I reviewed last week. However, it’s much better than Venezia’s and you can walk from one to the other.

Mandina’s prices are slightly higher but you are getting a much better tasting food.

Also, the entire wait staff was absolutely friendly..it makes a difference.

Highly recommended.

Date of visit: July 2020
1  Thank 794sidg
Reviewed 14 March 2020

Maybe I am too picky but I don’t believe Mandina’s deserves a four star plus rating. We used that rating plus recommendation from a local. I had spaghetti and meat balls which was a VERY generous serving. However, both the meatballs and sauce seemed to very mildly seasoned. My wife and two others had the Wednesday stuffed pepper special. The dish, especially the shrimp, was extremely overcooked — almost as it it had been made days earlier and reheated. Would not be on my list if we visit New Orleans in the future

Date of visit: March 2020