“Perfect experience. Great”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Perfect experience. Great food, impeccable service, good ambiance. The GM/host went out of their way to get us seated and offer a drink and menu guidance while our server was wrapping up with another table. Once our server stepped in, the great service continued. Highly recommend the tuna. Will be back

Date of visit: April 2021
Write a reviewReviews (229)

Reviewed 5 November 2020

I wanted to give a nice review to this restaurant, I really do. Happy hour oysters at $2 each, flavorful dishes; the food was great! The service however was the complete opposite.

I made a reservation for a friend and I here the other day and my friend, we had patio seating and they had heating lamps outside, it was perfect. We talk for a bit until our waitress comes with our menus. She later came to take our order and I asked her if we should be getting bread, which she assured me we will and she will bring it out to us after ordering.

After taking our order she brings out our food but still no bread so that was a red flag, but mistakes happen right. Another server brings our bread, she later comes out with the rest of our food saying, "Oh my gosh, I'm so happy you guys got bread because I totally forgot!" ... Okay that's great, yeah don't apologize for your mistake.

Once all of our food is out, we realize we are missing an order, so she also took down our order incorrectly and that had to be addressed as well.

After that, throughout the night, she never returned. As a server, you should check on your guests right? WRONG! Not once during dinner did she ever come back to check on us, our water glasses, our dishes, nothing. She was only there when necessary, which was taking our order and bringing our food. If I wanted to eat at a fast food restaurant I would have but this is not what Tempest Oyster Bar is so why am I receiving this service?

For these reasons I chose NOT to leave a tip because gratuity is earned and for this service I believe no gratuity was deserved. If dinner wasn't bad enough, I checked my bank account later this evening to find out a greater total was charged than what I was billed at for dinner that day..

Yes, our server left a tip for herself for her horrible service and if I didn't go over my transactions, would have gone unnoticed. I CLEARLY wrote $0.00 in bold font on the receipt and I wish I would have kept for you all to see but Kujo thought she was slick and could just add a 1 and give herself a $10.00 tip.

In conclusion, don't go here. And if you do, don't let Kujo serve you because who knows what will happen if you don't tip or receive horrible service.

Date of visit: November 2020
2  Thank ntkngo
Reviewed 4 July 2020 via mobile

Outstanding service -
Extra attentive sanitary procedures -
escargot, bluegill, lobster roll, & Burgundy all exceeded our expectation. Go Tempest!

Date of visit: July 2020
Reviewed 30 April 2020

This is our favorite restaurant in Madison, and there is not a close second. We loved it when we were able to dine in - great oysters and seafood, terrific service, and a lovely ambience. In these COVID times, they are reduced to take-out, and we are ordering dinner 2-3 times a week. It's a reduced menu, but every entree we've had has been excellent. The tuna and swordfish are exquisite, but honestly everything is great. PLEASE help keep them afloat until we return to a bit of normalcy.

Date of visit: April 2020
3  Thank david_lauth
Reviewed 26 February 2020 via mobile

This restaurant unfortunately was not as good as advertised. Very cool decor based on maritime theme, with a neat old wooden runabout boat as you walk into the bar area. First, the good - anything seafood was good to great. The smoked appetizer with caviar was great, although I expected more than saltines to be served with it. The salads were fresh and tasty, and the service was very good. Now the bad - the steaks were so bad that we couldn’t finish them. One of us ordered a New York strip rare and it came medium well and so gristly that it was hard to chew. Another had a filet and same experience- way overcooked and not tender at all. Desserts were just ok and they were out of a couple of items on a Tuesday night. Makes you wonder what they might run out of on a busy night. If someone wanted to go just for seafood I might be persuaded to go again but otherwise a definite no.

Date of visit: February 2020