“Great Americana ”

Ranked #16 of 278 Restaurants in Hot Springs
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Looking for something that has some home cooked good like grandma's house? This is the place to go. Great service, friendly atmosphere, and they take credit cards.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Great sprinach, olive, geta cheese omelet and the best biscuits ever. Tiny spot with a quirky layout. You have to walk through the kitchen to get to the only bathroom, but, hey, you get to chat with the cooks. Pancakes had fruit in them, I prefer it piled on top so stick with the omelets.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

As far as breakfast places go, this one is about average. We were there on a Sunday morning during racing season, so it was busy. We had to wait outside and it was cold and rainy, too. The hostess was wonderful about working to accommodate us, however. She kept coming out and letting us know how much longer the wait would be. She was incredibly efficient and pleasant in spite of being so busy. We waited about 30 minutes. Our waitress took our drink order and then kept having new customers and kept taking drink orders so we had to wait for some time to give our order. The coffee was just ok,nothing special and was served with coffee mate creamer. She asked if I would prefer milk--they do not stock cream. I think a good breakfast place serves half and half with coffee. They had some nice vegetable and egg dishes and I asked if I could get my eggs other than scrambled--it was listed as sauteed veggies over two scrambled eggs. I was told no, that it was "too busy" to do that. I asked if that meant that they were only serving scrambled eggs that day and she said no, they were cooking all sorts of eggs. So I ordered the scrambled with a side of one over easy egg. That seemed to satisfy her. To me, it made no logical sense at all. They could fry one egg, but not three. Then we did not get a warm up on our coffee. She would bring a coffee pot near our table, but never quite make it there. Finally a different waitress noticed us waiving our cups and brought us some coffee. I will admit that the eggs were pretty good, but would have been better not scrambled! The other two in our group liked theirs. My son had a waffle and my husband had an omelet. They were good.

It was also odd that they take credit cards, but you cannot leave your tip on the card. You have to use cash. I am not sure why. It is a cozy place with some very nice quilts on the wall for decoration. The hostess was great. I am not sure it was worth trying again; breakfast places in Hot Springs are a bit limited, however, especially if you are trying to avoid the chains. And the area it is in is very attractive.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

On this fourth day of our “Get Hot in Hot Springs” trip, things started out about the same as yesterday. We left the hotel after 9:00 and walked down the street to find breakfast. This day, we chose the Colonial Pancake & Waffle House - maybe a quarter mile from our hotel. This is a repeat as we had breakfast here our last time in Hot Springs (March of 2012) - so we knew what to expect. We expected to get a great breakfast and that is exactly what transpired. Joan enjoyed her scrambled eggs and hash brown casserole as I did my Cajun omelette (Andouille sausage, shrimp, onion & jalapeno peppers). Comparing this place with yesterday’s visit to the Pancake Shop, we both agreed that we favored the Colonial - the food was good at both places and the service was similarly good but the Colonial just seems to be a warmer place and has a more extensive breakfast menu. Although not as old as the Pancake Shop, the Colonial has been around a long time too (52 years). And a word about our waitress: I was reminded of a saying of my father’s - when he observed someone extraordinarily tall: “she would be long even if she died today.” She may not have been six feet tall, but she didn’t miss it by much.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Good food, but a little slow. Not a wait staff wasn't hustling kind of slow. More like they were short a waitress kind of slow. Waitresses were trying hard. Check-in system is not explained, so just know that if there is a line, you need to get on the list.

1  Thank Kurt B