Free cancellation until 08/03
Trip.com
Free cancellation until 08/01
US$22
US$20
Kadek Homestay Amed(Amed)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 08/01
US$113
US$124
US$106
Priceline
The BBQ Guest House(Amed)(Great Value!)
Book now, pay at stay
US$35
US$31
Good Karma Bungalows(Amed)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 07/28
US$29
US$26
  • Free Breakfast
All reviewsupstairs roomjemeluk bayfamily bungalowhot waterevery morningfishquiet lifecoconut pancakesthis place is a gemthe ownercafe foodwestern optionschicken currytea and coffeeclean accommodationday bedcoral reef
Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

We loved Blue Star. The room was super clean, comfortable with great WiFi and A/C. Enjoyed our breakfast each morning with a beautiful view. Terrific staff helped with arranging all that we requested.
Great snorkeling literally steps away.
Can't wait to return!
Highly recommended!!

Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2018

Overall:
Comfortable, clean and well priced accommodation with a bit of local character... and only footsteps from the most amazing snorkeling. If you want to relax in nature- this is the place to go! You can also expect to experience exceptional customer service from Blue Star staff who make you feel like part of the family.

Room:
We stayed in the beach bungalow which had a really comfortable king bed with a mosquito net that kept any bugs out. The air conditioning worked well and kept us cool, even when it was very hot outside. There is also a ceiling fan but we never used it.

There is a little upstairs loft area with a bed that we did not use. Just be aware that the upstairs area would not be suitable for very young children as the stairs are steep and the banister at the top has gaps that little ones could squeeze through, but I imagine older kids would quite enjoy the novelty of sleeping up there and it would of course be fine for adults too. There was plenty of room for our toddler to sleep in a cot on the ground floor near our bed anyway.

There was a small fridge in the room that we used to keep our drinks cool and they also had a large filtered water dispenser in the room which was great- we had free unlimited drinking water available. It also meant we could just use their glasses or refill our bottles, which was much better for the environment then getting single use bottles.

There was a large outdoor bathroom, typical of Balinese accommodation. The shower had cold and hot water and there was soap and shampoo provided. There was a western style toilet. The bathroom seemed a little outdated but was more than adequate for our needs and more than reasonable for the location and price bracket.

There was a porch with table chairs and a great little day bed. Every morning there would be a thermos of hot water and coffee tea placed out here, which was a nice touch.

The accommodation was comfy, well priced and met all our needs.

Location:
The accommodation has direct access to Jemeluk Bay and is (in my opinion) in the best location to go snorkeling off the beach. They have chairs and umbrellas on the beachfront and you can take advantage of the shade provided by the leafy trees on hot days. You can order food and drink from the beachfront. It is a black coral beach here, so don't expect soft yellow sand. However there are nearby sandy beaches if you'd like to visit them. We visited in May and found it was very quiet so we could always have our pick of the beach chairs and the water wasn't overly crowded with others. Amed is very spread out, so there is no one accommodation that would be 'central'. If you want to go for a meal to a restaurant further afield or visit beaches or spas outside of Jemuluk Bay, it would be worth hiring a scooter. Otherwise the owners were pretty helpful in providing a taxi service and there are plenty of local drivers who you can book for half or full days. We liked staying in Jemuluk Bay where we could just relax, get some simple tasty food and enjoy the stunning snorkeling within meters of our room. We also enjoyed some beautiful sunsets from here.

Staff/ service:
The staff here were so kind, competent and attentive. Most staff had a very good level of English, so communication was never an issue for us. All staff went above and beyond to make our stay amazing. The owner, Illuh, drove us in her car to nearby sights and was a good source of local information and advice. All the staff were wonderful with our 2 year old son and doted on him all the time- staff even provided some babysitting for us and took our son to a ceremony. Emi, Edoh and Kadek were standouts and really made our stay extra special- Emi even settled our son to sleep and brought him a stuffed giraffe! We were not asked to pay for any of these services, however we felt it appropriate to tip staff who had gone above and beyond to provide us with exceptional service.

Wayan is not a staff member, however she is one of the women who offer massages on the beachfront out the front of Blue Star. Wayan gives ridiculously good massages for a very cheap price while you lay on the beach chair. I prefer a bit of privacy and she was more then happy to offer the massage from the comfort of my air conditioned room when I asked. Getting a massage for less then $10 in my room everyday was a pretty nice option to have :)

Cafe/ food:

The included breakfast was simple but nice- options included fruit salad, pancakes, toast, etc. There were also options at additional cost (only a few dollars), such as eggs anyway on toast.Their bread is made on premises and was delicious- it reminded me a little of damper- and was great with poached egds.

There are a number of beachfront restaurants selling similar food, but we found the food and drinks at Blue Star the best- with everything fresh and tasty and well priced. They have a good range of food including favourites like fried rice, fried noodles, satay, etc. They also had curries, fish, seafood and many Indonesian options. Thy offered Western food too, but we never tried this.

We already miss Blue Star and we would stay there again in a heart beat!!

Stayed: May 2018
2  Thank Ilana_Banana
Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

Everything about our stay here was wonderful. The snorkeling in Jemeluk Bay is phenomenal, there is so much healthy coral and a huge variety of beautiful fish. Unfortunately a lot of tourists stand on the coral so closer to the shore there is a lot of damage, but if you swim out a bit further it's beautiful.

The staff were so friendly and helpful! They helped us get to Lipah and the Japanese shipwreck and looked after our 2 year old while we snorkelled, they even got him to have his naps!

The room was comfortable, the aircon worked well and they provide complimentary filtered water, which is a great touch.

We will definitely come back again!

Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2018

I stayed 4 nights at Blue Star, in the new 2 storey yellow building behind the main green building, which looks like it houses 6-8 rooms plus a spa. It was shoulder season when I was staying, and I think I may have been the only person in the new building.

Most of the rooms in the new building have no view (either facing towards the hillside and the road, or facing towards the parking lot (mine faced towards some laundry lines) so they lack the views towards the sea of the best rooms in the old building. But the rooms are really good quality. My double room was massive, with a large bathroom. Everything was spotless. The bed was a high-end pillow-top mattress. Definitely the best sleep I had out of the entire round-Bali trip! It's also nice and quiet at night.

The breakfasts, served on the beach, are simple but fine (the coconut pancakes are the best option, in my opinion). I ate lunch or dinner there twice, and the local food was okay but the western food wasn't great (I ordered a pizza one night, and what came bore only a passing resemblance to pizza - although it tasted okay. Serves me right for ordering pizza in a small tourist town, I know).

The staff were very welcoming and excellent - each morning, the staff come by all the rooms to drop off thermoses of hot water at 7am, but I'm an early riser, so on my first morning there I got up and wandered down to the beach at 6am to watch the sunrise and enjoy the quiet. The staff noticed I was up, and the following morning delivered my water at 6am, as soon as the morning shift started. I didn't have to ask - they just noticed and adjusted their routine accordingly. I was impressed by that attention to detail.

Finally, as others have undoubtedly mentioned, the beach is pebbly so no good for lying on the sand and building sand castles, but you can snorkle right from the beach (the coral isn't in great condition, as too many tourists are careless around it, but there were still lots of colourful fish when I was there).

For anyone concerned about the volcano rumbling last year, you should know that this area is quite safe because it's behind a headland, so although you can see the volcano rising in the distance, the towns of Amed are not actually in the path of the volcano, so there's no need to stay away.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

Staying in Amed at Blue star was the high light of our trip to Bali! We absolutely loved the authentic Balinese experience! We loved being able to walk to the water and snorkel whenever we wanted, we loved the people that worked in the hotel and the villagers that lived around the area! We loved the children in particular that lived behind the hotel complex. We loved being able to walk to lots of restuarants and hire a motorbike and drive around the area. There were plebty of scuba diving options walking distance where they will take you out on a boat for snorkelling and sube diving. We reccomend going to the Japnese ship wreck. It was incredible. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming. Even though the Volcano (Mount Agung) is visible by boat trip, it is completely safe. Don't listen to people in Kuta or other areas that won't take you to Amed because it's dangerous, they are just trying to keep you business in their area. Trust the national guidelines/reports online. We had no issues at all.
Our room was amazing with air conditioning, heaps of complimentary water, massive bed with mosquito nets, air conditioning, lots if room a bonus spare two beds and wnd level so 4 people could comfortably stay in the room.
We will definetly be back soon!

Stayed: January 2018, traveled as a couple