Smith Kids Play Place (Playground & Mansion)
Ranked #108 of 487 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: Smith Memorial Playground & Playhouse opened its doors in East Fairmount Park in 1899. Funded by Richard and Sarah Smith, the site was dedicated to the memory of their adult son, Stanfield. Smith’s beautiful, 24,000 square foot Playhouse was designed solely as a play space for children by one of Philadelphia’s most prominent late 19th century architects, James H. Windrim. The Playground is situated on its original historic landscape – 6 1/2 acres of open fields, wooded terrain, and sloped hills – and is home to the century old Ann Newman Giant Wooden Slide, a treasured play experience for generations of Philadelphia’s children, as well as other unique pieces of play equipment.Smith’s mission is to provide children 10 and under from diverse backgrounds with free and accessible one-of-a-kind play experiences that meet their physical, behavioral, and developmental needs.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We decided to make this our first stop during our visit to Philly due to all the positive reviews. First, I will say that the outside area was closed when we arrived (I guess because it had rained earlier), so I cannot speak for that area. But I was so disappointed by the inside. It looked so dirty. You could see the dust collecting on the floors and the toys were absolutely disgusting looking. I cringed when my 13 month old touched the Legos, but tried to overlook it for his happiness and since he had been stuck in the car for 5 hours on our drive there. I love the history of the place and concept, but all I wanted to do was find the nearest bathtub, put my son in, and hope my son didn't catch anything.

All reviews
"wooden slide"
in 28 reviews
"toys and books"
in 2 reviews
"older kids"
in 4 reviews
"great place to take the kids"
in 2 reviews
in 8 reviews
"philly"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 8 July 2018

I love this place! My kids are officially too old now (14 and 12), but this was always one of their favorite places to go, and I love bringing my young nieces and nephews here now. It is free for all children 10 & under (5 & under for the playhouse) and their families. There are donation boxes, and donations are appreciated but not mandatory. My kids loved the playhouse as toddlers and preschoolers- it has multiple levels with all kinds of toys and play structures in reasonably good shape- nothing new or fancy. In colder weather especially, the playhouse is a fantastic place to take young kids who need a change of scenery or a good space to run around (it was a sanity-saver for me the winter when I had an active 3 year old and a baby). The playground is huge and full of all kinds of unique structures- for climbing, bouncing, sliding, swinging and spinning. Particularly on the weekends when it is much more crowded, I've always found it to be well monitored by staff. There is a separate area outside for young children- I believe it's 3 & under). I've always found the bathrooms to be clean (enough), and there are a number of shady spaces to sit, particularly in the upper part of the playground near the entrance, and by the labyrinth.

Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

Smith Playground and Playhouse is a 118 year old Philadelphia institution. It is comprised of a playground and playhouse that are open to the public and are free. Though the playground is open year round, the best time to come is in the warmer weather when the giant outdoor slide is open. This is a high point for the kids and I’m sure that the adults who ho down the slide with their younger children have a blast. There are areas geared to young and older kids. Smith believes that play should be about kids exploring and making fun times from what is available. Let their imagination take them for a ride. It’s worth the trip and a great place to take the kids for a few hours when you are visiting from out of town and need a break from the museums and historic sights.

Reviewed 29 September 2017

Wow, what a great playground! So much for the kids to do and it kept their attention for almost 3 hours (ages 3 and 5). The outside is by far the best including all your playground favorites and a giant wooden slide that my kids went on over and over and over and... Inside the mansion was OK, but maybe best for the youngest kids only. My 5 year old was bored in less than 10 minutes and we went back outside.