1,488 results
All reviews boutique hotel bay window continental breakfast hard boiled eggs yogurt within walking distance discounted parking center city few blocks single room rooms are small kimmel center great boutique walked everywhere chain hotels south street italian market
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Our family of 5 enjoyed our stay in every way! Close proximity to the train at Jefferson station. We walked to the Franklin Institute and the historic district from the hotel. Breakfast was great, well-stocked, and convenient. We were very comfortable and the view from our room was very pretty.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
Tony L, Manager at Alexander Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Thank you for writing and the five stars! Hope you return to us very soon. Tony Lombardo

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Its almost midnight. I should be sleeping right now. But my room’s too hot. The front desk guy said I should open a window.

He also said that he doesn’t know how to contact his boss.

I opened a window. It’s still hot. Buy now it’s noisy too.

This hotel has air conditioning.

Apparently my room can be made comfortable, but management has turned the ac off. The room does not have a thermostat.

The front desk guy also said he’s a veteran and that I shouldn’t complain because he served in the military.

But I’m just a guest in a hotel. I really don’t care if the desk clerk is a vet. Or whatever.

I just want a peaceful sleep. But I can’t get one here.

And the front desk guy refuses to connect me w the boss. Probably because I’m not a military veteran.

Did I mention that the front desk guy is a vet?

There is a loud fight happening outside right now. People screaming at each other.

If I were in an adequate hotel with the standard modern conveniences, then I never would have heard this altercation.

Also, I’d be sleeping right now.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank Norwood O
Tony L, Manager at Alexander Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience at our Inn, but mechanicals do occasionally break down. When you're next in Philly please give us another try. Tony Lombardo

Reviewed 28 March 2018

We were very happy with our stay at this hotel, my *only* negative is that since it's historic its not accessible (there are steep steps at the front entrance and at the dining room) but otherwise we were able to negate the room and via the elevator with no issues. This hotel is very nice, period correct and surprisingly spacious rooms for the age of the property. The bathrooms are a tad narrow but have everything needed and clean! We loved the location and proximity to CHOP since we were there for our sons surgery, we were close enough we could walk if the weather allowed or an uber was very reasonable. We stayed for a week and will definitely be back!

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Tony L, Manager at Alexander Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Thank you for writing and the 5 stars. Tony Lombardo

Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

Firstly, the staff are all very nice and helpful, and the hotel lobby and the breakfast room are charming but unfortunately the rooms are not nice, well our room wasn’t anyway. Here’s why..
The room temp was horrible, the bed was tiny and most uncomfortable and the lighting in the room is diabolical. More hangers would have been nice in the very small cupboard. There was only one suitcase chair, two people staying in a room would normally require two but there wasn’t any space for another one to be honest!
The bathroom wasn’t very clean when we checked in and the toilets weren’t kept cleaned properly by housekeeping daily. There isn’t anywhere to put things in the bathroom, i.e. your wash-bag and if you put it on the floor it was end up soaking because the bathroom is more like a wet room! Randomly placed towel rails / handles as well.
Great area though and I suppose we got what we paid for.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Tony L, Manager at Alexander Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

So sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. Our rates are the most reasonable in Center City Philadelphia. Some of our rooms are best suited for one person but for $10-20 more your might have better enjoyed your stay. Hopefully we your next visit will be a better one. Tony Lombardo

Reviewed 17 March 2018

I never ever write poor reviews as you will see from my history, I just stay quiet and choose to only share my positive experiences when I travel. However, this situation was so dire that I decided I needed to inform other travellers. If you work as hard for your money as I do, choose to give it to organisations and people who work in the service industry and appreciate the word 'service'
I was in Mexico when I was told that one of my dearly loved friends was gravely ill and in hospital in PA after being told nothing further could be done. My whole being told me to hurry over to Philly. I jumped on a plane the next day, I landed without a place to stay, no charge on my phone and worst of all, no cards, I left my boyfriend and stuff in Mexico as it was also rushed, and decided to try my very best to take some love and light and Mexican sunshine to my gracious, kind and wonderful PA native friend. I booked via booking.com as I always do (never again) and used my saved card numbers to book at The Alexander Inn, FIVE minutes after I booked, I realised I had clicked on the wrong date, booking.com advertised (since them changed the words they use) no money was taken and cancellations were free, I called the hotel and the chap on the phone was nice enough but told he could change the day for more money and then when he heard I didn't have the physical card (I had my passport etc etc) he told me I wasnt allowed to check in with my cards anyway. I gave up, tried not to have a melt down and booked last minute on air b n b. I spent the next day with my friend and her family and then saw my card had been debited by the hotel. I called the manager and explained my situation, he told he didn't care why I was in PA, I booked and it Wass his policy to take the money even though I wasn't Abel to check in, not having my cards was 'your problem' I pleaded with him and explained that I am merely a humble freelance creative and had not budgeted this trip in at all (seriously I am just about to get paid in April after years of drought!! if you are a creative you will KNOW the feast and famine situ well) I told him I needed my money back and then said I thought I should share the experience and his total lack of humanity on here, he SCREAMED at me, 'I AM TAKNG YOUR MONEY' and slammed down the phone, I emailed the hotel after they sent me a link to 'review your star' and then looked at my bank who informed me that the FULL RATE had been deducted, so yes, seriously I could live for a week in Mexico on that money. So I will not call them again, or my bank I let them have the money for indeed I believe in karma and I do have compassion for the negativity that he will experience from the way he treated me when all I wanted to do was to soothe my friend, hold her hand and tell her not to be afraid. I saw reports online that the hotel was used for the Manhattan Project, you know the one that saw all the planets leading scientists join forces to build the atom bomb and reports that the hotel may be haunted, I believe in Malo energy and my only conclusion his that this hotel manager has been taken over by a seriously negative energy. Do not support this hotel if you can help it. AWFUL experience.

Room tip: Go Elsewhere.
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Carolyne F

Seriously!!

Our policy regarding credit cards, like most hotels is you need current ID and a credit card to check in. Period! If you had issues with Bookings.com please take it up with them. Tony Lombardo