“Good Quantity”

Super Panda Buffet
Ranked #353 of 455 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

If you're near the mall and value quantity over quality I guess you could check it out. Food quality is equivalent to cheap Chinese takeout (not even close to Panda Express). Obviously the sushi (close enough to Chinese I guess) is not impressive at all. If you are dragged here I would just recommend loading up on rice plus beef and broccoli. Really not bad, just not that good.

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

I logged on to write my review and read other reviews first. The last review left on April 9th by Theresa is very well stated. I found the situation nearly identical today. When I visit a buffet, I like to get samples of things on my first plate to see what I like. After my first plate I had difficulty choosing anything I'd like more of. I would not choose to eat here again.

Reviewed 10 April 2017

We visited on a Friday night and the restaurant was not busy. The place is big and has room for hosting parties and big families. However, the tables and chairs are worn and beaten up. Many chairs have slits in them, exposing the insides. Personally, I get very uncomfortable sitting on a torn-up chair. Carpet was dirty too - one can only imagine how many times food, sauces, sodas and the like have spilled onto it and remains on it.

They do try to compensate with a variety of hot dishes spread out over 3 counters and do have the regular dishes like beef & broccoli, sweet and sour pork, walnut shrimp, hot and sour soup, etc. But, I do have to say that I've definitely tasted better dishes at other comparable buffet restaurants. There is a salad bar but it was pathetic. I did not see any lettuce or spinach and while the bar has sunflower seeds and tomato slices, it is hardly a salad bar. They also serve sushi. I did try the spicy california roll and while it was ok, did not bother to return for seconds. Definitely stayed away from the fresh salmon sushi as it did not look appetizing. The cooked salmon also did not taste fresh. The crab legs and baked shell was tasty though.

The soft serve machine was filthy and so was the dessert counter. No one bothered to wipe off the toppings that have over flowed onto the counter and other display, and there were also soft serve drippings all over.

I'd prefer to have used any disposable utensils as the ones provided just didn't look clean. I would recommend for you to dip them in a cup of hot water and wipe them before using.

The servers, however, were polite and cleared our tables promptly. It's rather sad to see good people working at a place where the owners/management do not take pride in their restaurant.

Good news is - none of us suffered a tummy ache. Food is edible although we've certainly had better. Price was reasonable. Not a place that we will return but if you're craving Chinese buffet, this is probably a better option than others in the area (unless I have missed finding a better gem).

Reviewed 9 March 2017 via mobile

Typical of most Chinese buffets - serviceable but uninspired food, shopworn tables and booths, lots of food choices and pretty good value.

I fear that the cost of a remodel and overhaul of the menu might result in higher prices that would drive away the value diners that keep the place going. The sushi, soup and dumplings and salads are always good. At lunch, the seafood offerings seem fresher and the dishes with vegetables (broccoli beef, green beans etc) are brighter.

My grandkids love the soft serve ice cream and the chance to pick out only what they want to eat!

Reviewed 21 October 2016

I recently stopped in the Super Panda Buffet and should have trusted my instinct and turned around and walked out the door. As I was interested in trying a new place - I staid. Wrong move - don't make the same one. I thought that this restaurant was related to the fast food chain Panda - and I was definitely wrong on that assumption. As soon as I walked in - that horrible smell of old grease hit me. It was not appetizing. I was seated immediately by a pleasant hostess. Not surprising as the place is huge and there were maybe 2 other parties eating. It was early for dinner - just 5 pm, but the place was deserted. It is located in the parking lot of the Ventura Mall, just off of Mills Road - so it should attract a lot of customers. Now I know why it doesn't. The hostess told me the deal - it is a self serve, all you can eat buffet. Before checking out the food, I took a trip to the ladies room. It was filthy. I just washed my hands and avoided touching anything as I went back out. Another bad sign. I went up to the buffet, and there was a lot of different dishes on offer. Lots of sea food options that I decided not to touch. I was afraid that they might have gone bad as there were no customers and who knew how long they had been sitting out in the open. I took some string beans and a few of the chicken options and headed back to my seat. The food was ice cold - not even warm, and very greasy. I will admit that if the food had been hot, it would have been a lot better. One of the chicken dishes was Peanut Butter Chicken (lightly breaded with peanut sauce) which was the most edible of everything I took. It was the only thing I did eat, except for cookies. They did offer several kinds of cookies as dessert - along with sliced fruit options. I chose the cookies as they were obviously made elsewhere. This was an expensive meal given the fact that I ate very little except for several cookies to fill me up. The people working there were unfriendly, did not smile and never talked to you. I guess I wouldn't either if I worked at a place this bad. Surprisingly, I did not get sick - but I won't risk it again. This is such a shame - could be a great place with lots to choose from, but the owner obviously does not care. Don't eat here - there are so many better places to choose from right in the mall.