“10 nights of bliss in a classic old Dame!”
Review of Wellington Hotel

Wellington Hotel
Ranked #328 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 8, 2017

Our flight arrived 5 hours late, we were tired, stressed and accidentally put into a room with one queen bed when we'd already paid for a room with two..back down to reception I went (it's now almost 2am & I am trying to muster what's left of my smiles for the gorgeous young Zac)
Zac tells me that sadly there are no more double-doubles or double-queens left in the hotel (PANIC!!) BUT...suddenly like a brilliant beautiful magician we are upgraded and spend the next 10 nights in a glorious 2 bedroom suite at no extra charge NONE!..NADA..ZILCH
I am a seasoned traveler and never in my wildest dreams did I imagine this would happen to ME in NYC!
OK the suite was a bit old and one of the wardrobes had a slightly dodgy door and sometimes the toilet 'ran on' a bit after flushing but hey, it's New York and it's an older hotel & that's life BUT at the end of every long hard day we got to lie on our own huge beds in our own HUGE rooms watching our OWN huge TV's..calling out stuff to each other like 'hey, want some of my corn chips?' LOL or 'Gee, should I have a long hot bath?' aaahh!
This was my 4th visit to my fave city in the entire world and THIS hotel made it simply magnificent! The locale is second to none, the staff are incredible and the facilities pretty cool too.
Molyvos, the Greek restaurant attached is pricey but very special and worth at least one flash-out meal - really divine! There are plenty of variety stores and eateries in the area & a huge wholefoods with in easy reach about 5 mins walk away @ Columbus circle.
Times Square is a 5 min walk in one direction and Central Park 5 mins walk in the other. If you want something high tech flashy & fancy then don't stay here but if you want a taste of NYC Art Deco and high romance then don't miss The Wellington!
Oh and to get free wifi for your entire stay all you have to do is ask nicely at the desk..worked for me! (don't know where all the negative reviews are coming from!)
Only negative I can report is the horridly rude female in the City sightseeing tour booking desk which is down stairs from the hotel - it is not part of the hotel but really dampened our experience. complaints were made and refunds by that company were given..full separate review on that experience to come!
Anyway back to the divine Wellington..the hotel itself is gorgeous, decor romantic and staff fab...will absolutely return. Thanks Zac, you are amazing! :)

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to avoid street noise
  • Stayed: August 2017, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sandra B
Write a ReviewReviews (7,152)

Reviewed December 7, 2017 via mobile

The best thing about this hotel is its central location. The hotel itself is adequate for just somewhere to fall into bed at the end of a long day of sightseeing. This was my second visit to the hotel, my first was 11 years ago, and it hasn't changed one bit since back then. So it does seem a little dated and could do with a bit of a freshen up. Saying that I found it clean and tidy.

We were checked in and out quickly and given free wifi. Staff are ok, I don't think they are rude, just extremely busy trying to get through all the people.

Stayed: December 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed December 7, 2017

I stayed here for one evening, a Friday in December. The hotel is conveniently located in the theatre district but is a little bit worn. The check-in process was slow. The elevators are small and slow. The wifi in the room was very poor / unavailable -- I was only able to connect once during my stay -- at 1am! The bathroom is TINY. The worst part -- the bedroom was uncomfortably warm -- I was unable to control the temperature and even opening the window overnight didn't cool it off enough. The best part -- the bellhop was very helpful when I needed to store and retrieve my suitcase. There are better options for the price, nearly $300/night. :(

• Stayed: December 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 7, 2017 via mobile

I would describe the interior decor of the hotel as ‘traditional’. If you are looking for modern accommodation this hotel is probably not for you.

Our room was adequately equipped given the little amount of time you spend in there when trying to pack in all the sites of NYC. Room was always clean and the bed was comfortable.

The only minor faults I could possibly note is that the plumbing was very noisy and the lifts very slow at peak times (check in & out).

You have to pay for WiFi.

Excellent location on 7th Avenue between Times Square and Central Park - it was a great base for exploring.

Concierge staff very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2017

I booked directly via the hotels website and made sure we booked a queen room. Check in was quick and painless despite there being a few people wanting to check in/out. We were allocated a room on the 8th floor, unfortunately upon entering the room it was apparent it certainly wasn't a queen bed, in fact it barely looked like a double. The view out the window was of a brick wall, that couldn't be helped, in cities you don't always get the view you want but the room itself even with a barely sized double bed was tiny. I called reception and confirmed I had booked a queen bed and this most certainly wasn't queen, I was told to come down stairs and another room will be allocated. We were then allocated a room on the 27th floor with a great view of Central Park and a huge bed! It was all dealt with very well so no problems from me!
The only other issue we had with the room was the air con started playing up, we mentioned this to reception one morning and when we returned at the end of the day it had been fixed.

A bit disappointing not to have a kettle in the room but there was a Starbucks across the street that opened at 5am, we ran across every morning and brought drinks back up to our room.

The location is fantastic, look one way and see Central Park, look the other and you can see Times Square, if you walk a few blocks across you are on 5th avenue. We walked virtually everywhere from the hotel.

The hotel is old as other reviews say but it is clean, it isn't modern and traditional but it does it's job for the money, we paid £310 for 4 nights using a Trivago discount code they offered on the hotel website.

We would definitely stay here again in a heart beat.

• Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple