“Brilliant location ”
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Pod 51 Hotel
Ranked #232 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 24, 2017 via mobile

Travelled on my own in October 2016. After doing extensive research I decided to stay here.
This hotel is in a brilliant location, within walking distance of Times Square, Central park and is near Lexington avenue which has a few subway lines. So access around the city is simple.
I had a single room which was very small but fulfilled my needs. The bathroom was shared but this wasn't an issue.
The staff were very helpful including one of the porters: I enquired about getting a shuttle bus to JFK and he promptly booked me on one for less than $25, far more comfortable than lumping my suitcase on the subway.
Overall I didn't spend a huge amount of time in the hotel; but when I did, it was safe, comfortable and I would contemplate staying there again if I was travelling on my own to NYC.
It was cheaper than all other 3/4 star accommodation which was a big help.

Stayed: October 2016, traveled solo
2  Thank mickeyb489
Write a ReviewReviews (5,009)

Reviewed September 24, 2017 via mobile

I've stayed here twice in the last year. There's no ice machine which is unheard of in a hotel. There is a canteen that will reluctantly give you a glass or two but they close far too early to be useful. No restaurant. Shared bathrooms are ok but my room did not have an indicator light like last time and so I've go from WC to WC trying to find an open one..there usually is but not always, though the wait isn't too long. The drains don't always drain quickly so I have short showers to avoid standing in water. I've always had hot water. The rooms are very small but clean. Linens clean. Bunk bed is a bit of a pain but worth the price. The location is fantastic....a short walk to Times Square, Central Park, Radio City Music Hall, Broadway, subways. A bit farther to Grand Central Station, Empire State Building, shopping. Some good restaurants and pubs around. A grocery store, wine and spirits store (see my comment above about no ice) and a great pizza place not too far away. Front desk weren't rude but they aren't warm and welcoming. Cleaning staff very friendly. Will stay again. Hopefully they get an ice machine by then!

Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2017 via mobile

I had some reservations about the size of the room before I arrived after reading some of the past reviews but I was pleasantly surprised.
The room was more than enough space for me (I had a queen pod with private bath) the room was spotless and cleaned to a high standard every day! The bed was comfortable and the pillows were probably better than the ones I have at home.
As for people complaining about the noise of the air con, yeah it made a bit of noise but nothing that wasn't bearable (I slept like a baby). There is some noise from other people coming in and out of there rooms but nothing excessive or any different than most hotels. The shower is amazing as well and I love the fact the light has a dimmer switch, I love my baths so made for a relaxing shower in replacement of a relaxing bath.
The little cafe they have in the lobby sells nice coffee and pastries too and the staff there are lovely!
All in all I would definitely stay here or at one of their other pod hotels again and would recommend it to anyone who is travelling to New York solo soon as well!

Stayed: September 2017, traveled solo
2  Thank phalpal
Reviewed September 20, 2017

If you are looking for a comfy, safe and low cost place with an excellent this is a great option.

Pros:
1.)Location - really central, (Midtown East) - approximately 10 - 12 mins to Central Park, Time Square.
2.) Clean rooms - fresh towels daily.
3.) Decent shower - good flow and heat and easy to use*
4.) Nice rooftop area - open area, BOYB, chilled and relaxed.

Cons:
1.) Tiny rooms - If you need space in a hotel, this won't work for you. About the size of hostel rooms. (it's in the name to be fair).
2.)Found the receptionist on checking in a little crass. When I asked her where the room, she half rolled her eyes, a kinda you know where it is type look. Very unprofessional. Look could be a bad day - check out reception was very nice, enthusiastic and wished us well.
3.) Shower and bathroom was lovely - just beware that some rooms don't have a bathroom in the room so it's a shared bathroom.* (still very nice just FYI)

If you are out and about in NY city all day and just want to place your head down at night then this is a great place. Cheap, central, happy to recommend.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 19, 2017

I booked a full pod and I stayed in it by myself. The room was very small, but well designed and it had everything I needed. There were plenty of outlets in the room for charging devices. The full bathroom was definitely compact, but again, everything I would expect from a more luxurious hotel was there, which was good because this place isn't cheap, even though it is on the more budget end for NYC.

The space was very tight. I'm one person, and very average sized. If I had been traveling with my partner, who is 6'3", I suspect there could have been a lot of issues, particularly with the bed and shower stall.

I had read other reviews that mentioned that the walls were super thin so noise was a real problem, so I was concerned, but that turned out to not be an issue. I rarely heard my neighbors.

The hotel staff were fantastic. The little cafe in the lobby was great for grabbing a quick breakfast in the morning. The seating areas were comfortable, with both indoor and outdoor seating.

The hotel offers "Podwalks" Monday through Friday, where they have a tour guide from a local tour company do a walking tour that takes most of the morning. I did the Thursday tour, which is Chelsea Market/Meatpacking District/Greenwich Village and it was excellent. The tours are free, though I did tip my guide generously at the end.

The hotel itself is very colorful and fun. There is music piped in all the elevators, and the entire hotel is very artsy. The rooftop deck is nice, though the building is significantly smaller than other buildings in Midtown, so it isn't a great view for sightseeing. But it is a lovely space to hang out and enjoy a glass of wine.

The hotel also offers a $40 flat rate car service to the airport, which I found more convenient, quicker, and cheaper than the taxi I arrived in.

The only complaint I have is that it was unseasonably hot when I was there and the air conditioner in my room wasn't the greatest. It did work, but not exceptionally well. Had it been typical September weather, rather than a heatwave, it wouldn't have been an issue at all.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled with friends