“Nice, tiny hotel”

Amsterdam Court Hotel
Ranked #348 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 23, 2017 via mobile

While visiting New York for a theater teachers' conference, I had the pleasure of staying at the Amsterdam Court Hotel. The location, near Times Square, could not be beat! The staff were, without exception, extremely pleasant, helpful, and very friendly. The room itself was tiny (not exaggerating - the door hit the bed upon entrance, and there was virtually no space to move around the bed; the closet was minuscule, and there was no dresser or nightstand, with only a small shelf over the radiator), but it was clean and in good repair. Being in the center of everything, though, I really did not spend much time in the room (just to sleep, shower, and change clothes), and the bed was comfortable, and the shower was hot. For the price, it really was perfect. What really made this place great was the staff. Everyone was terrific, offering great transportation and dining advice. They even arranged transportation to the airport upon my departure that was heads and shoulders above the shuttle I got at the airport on my way in, and then stored my bags all day so I could squeeze in a last day of sightseeing. I would definitely stay here again when in NYC!

Stayed: July 2017, traveled on business
3  Thank Holly S
FrontOffice226, Front Office Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2017

Dear Holly S,

I hope all is well. Thank you for taking the time of leaving us your candid review. I am please your stay with us was a pleasant one over all. I appreciate the praise for our friendly staff and prime location. As with many hotels in NYC some of our standards room are on the cozy size, however we are going through renovation which upgrade all of our room amenities, so I can't wait to welcome you back soon!

Best wishes,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,281)

Reviewed September 23, 2017

when i booked this hotel the web site showed a room that was clean and smart i don,t know where they keep these rooms its no the one i was given mine was on the third floor as soon as i opened the door i thought i was in then wrong hotel it was very small the bed had no base the bathroom had mould in the bath and around the toilet the room looked dirty i went down to get it changed but someone had beaten me to it they where being told there was no rooms available so i went back to my room , as i was only there for two nights i had to put up with it , on a good side the staff are very good at there job.

Room Tip: get to see the room before you take your bags up .
  • Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
FrontOffice226, Front Office Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2017

Dear cyprusfanatics,

Reviewed September 22, 2017

Booked blind through hotwire.com, received this hotel. Location is great. The staff was excellent; they appear to politely deal with uptight, high-maintenance guests (primary European) on an almost constant basis.

Downside is that the building needs work; there are signs up suggesting that maintenance is occurring/planned but I bet those signs have been up for a long time. My room barely had enough room for a twin bed.

Still, a good value if you are looking for a place to crash. Great food nearby: Bibble & Sip (fusion bakery) and Merilu Pizza.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled solo

Dear RabidTerrier,

I sincerely apologize for the less than satisfactory experience that you had during your recent visit and I apologize for any inconveniences that took place. As we pride ourselves on offering each and every guest impeccable service, it is rather disappointing to hear that we fell short of our goal. Nevertheless, I know that sincere words of regret and apology cannot make up for your disappointing visit. I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves so we may show you that we are committed to providing service that is unparalleled. As we are going through renovation, which takes time, to ensure we address of all the issues you have faced in the room. I appreciated your praise on our friendly and hope you I hope you consider us in the future.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed September 20, 2017 via mobile

Tiny, dark and noisy room which cannot be fire safe as my husband was basically trapped by furniture once he was in bed. There is nowhere to put your toiletries so you have to carry them in and out of the bathroom every morning and evening. Nowhere to store your stuff so just keeping it all the suitcase. You have to walk sideways in the room or you bash your shins on the bed surround. The staff are this hotels best assets. They have managed to move us to a slightly bigger but still dark and noisy room but unfortunately the toilet overflowed spilling the contents of our toilet and other toilets nearby all over the bathroom floor. Never seen anything like that happen, usually stops at the rim if it gets blocked, omg what a mess and smell. No Breakfast and nowhere to buy even a coffee in the evening. Yes, the location is good but find a better hotel in the same area. As for WiFi, why on earth can't they just supply it? £15 per day is totally unreasonable. You can gather in the lobby with everyone else to use the free WiFi or if you are lucky, the roof terrace will be open and you can use it there. Either way you have to get dressed to use the internet. This is unworkable as you need it to book tickets, investigate your plans for the next day, look for places for breakfast etc. No good for anyone who needs WiFi, which is basically most of the population. There is no natural sunlight in the rooms, the photos show how dark the rooms are first thing in the morning and also the reason why we can hear everything going on in the streets below ALL NIGHT, daylight showing through the window frames. Book at your peril!

Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple

Dear QUEEN-STAR,

Reviewed September 17, 2017

We stayed here for 9 Days at the end of August 2017. The Stuff is so friendly and helpful. The Room was a little tiny but very clean and the bed was so comfy and a big flatscreen was also there. Wifi was only free in the Lobby and on the rooftop. 10$ for 24 hours wifi in the hotelroom is very expensive.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
FrontOffice226, Front Office Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2017

Dear marcojakob1,

I hope you had a safe trip back home. Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. I am pleased to hear your stay with us was a pleasant one overall and even if you found the room on the cozy size it was still accommodating. I thank you for the praise for our friendly staff. Our WiFi in the rooms are for a rate, however I hope we make it convenient to have it complimentary in all of our public areas. I hope on your next trip to NYC, you consider us again.

Jen S.