“First kobe experience ”
Review of 212 Steakhouse

212 Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
212 Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,353 of 14,732 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Modern Steakhouse in the heart of Midtown Manhattan with Kobe, Wagyu & Prime Beef, Seafood, Cocktails & a Long Wine List. 212 Steakhouse takes great pride in being the only member in New York of the Kobe Beef Marketing & Distribution Promotion Association from Japan. In fact, 212 Steakhouse is the only restaurant which has gotten approval to use the true Kobe Beef officially in the East Coast. We are specialized in marbleized cuts of Kobe, as well as Wagyu and American and Australian dry-aged steaks. Our space is designed with a long bar, earthy woods and cool gray and white accents. We also offer seafood (including grilled whole fish and raw-bar selections), hearty sides and a number of wines by the glass.
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Our wait staff was so helpful in getting us to decide our sides and entree. We knew we were going to get the kobe tasting platter and our waiter knew exactly the right amount for us to eat to be able to enjoy the steak and not feel overfull. I am a glutton and will eat until my plate is clean so his advice was keenly taken.

The kobe beef was so buttery and cooked exactly as I like it. And the entree of octopus really set us up with a slightly tangy freshness to be able to prepare for the indulgent meat plate.

The wine pairing was OK and maybe I would've chosen something else. But that was all. Lovely staff and lovely meal.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

The atmosphere in this East Side Steakhouse was friendly and inviting. Unfortunately, the much heralded Wagyu Beef, although inordinately pricey, was substandard. A beautiful job of carving for two at the table, but the beef was beyond fatty, actually undercooked, and wholly disappointing. The $12 sides were oozing with excess (cream, cheese (not included in the description), etc.) and one felt that, in addition to overpaying, ingesting it was to feel your arteries closing up. I like a good steak as much as the next meat-eater. This is not a good choice to savor one, I have concluded.

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

I went alone on Sunday for lunch. I had their Australian "Wagyu T-bone." The quotation marks are there because I don't believe the steak I had was either Wagyu nor a T-bone. The flavor was closer to choice (or even select)-quality beef. Regarding the cut, a T-bone is supposed to have a little bit of fillet mignon. This steak had none. My side of creamed spinach was ok. On the plus side, the service was extremely friendly and efficient. But hey, I go to a steakhouse for the beef, not the service. Maybe their Kobe beef is better, but I am definitely not going there again.

1  Thank Ahmed E
Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

This place has a great atmosphere, high-quality food and efficient service. I have only one complaint—the kobe beef is frozen. But when it’s shipped from Japan what do you expect?
Highly recommend potato gratin and soufflé.

1  Thank TravelManiac1998
Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

Hello 212, it's 917 calling. Do you read me over! Yes, Alex (the Great) picked up my call and he reserved a nice table for us. I heard about this place but didn't know would be coming here so soon. It's a steakhouse with Kobe certification, so please don't flip out if you see some Japanese writing on the wall. That's the certification! We were seated in the front dining area next to the bar. The restaurant has the front, middle, bar and back sections. The bar is long and bar stools are comfortable where you can lean on and relax. We ordered arugula with pear and goat cheese salad and zucchini chip to start. We did good because both were super delicious! Then our entrees were majestically prepared. I had a filet mignon and Hubby had baby lamb chops. Thumbs up for my plate, again for Hubby's plate. All together from thumbs to toes, all up, we liked! My filet mignon is to die for! So juicy and tender. The lamb chop's plate could be better because it was hard to cut the lamb in a semi bowl plate. Yes I'm talking about the plate not the dish. A regular dinner plate that is somewhat flat would be easier to hold and cut the lamb. We finished everything on our plates. The lamb chops was served with Brussels sprouts and Polenta. Hubby let me have half of each, so I could enjoy with my filet mignon. Perfect because it's the right amount with my entree. Definitely would return to try more dishes. Beautiful restaurant and great service. Alex was a great server. Alex the great! Dinner was excellent! The restaurant is still young but they know what they're doing. Great job 212!