“Buddafull! ”
Review of Buddakan

Buddakan
Reserve with OpenTable
Buddakan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 14,144 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$50 - US$50
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: 16th Street
Transit: A,C,E to 14th Street. L to 8th Ave.
Description: The surreal atmosphere of this awe-inspiring restaurant in the Meatpacking district of Manhattan combines the serenity of Asia with the flamboyance of 16th century Paris. The menu features fanciful interpretations of Chinese dishes and delights even the most discriminating palates.
Reviewed August 1, 2016 via mobile

Lovely restaurant. Concierge staff very helpful on arrival. Waiting staff very helpful and attentive throughout the meal.

Lobster egg rolls were delicious and so filling! We ordered them and the the dimsum platter, the egg rolls were enough for a couple to share.

Main courses were again lovely! Black Alaskan cod and a steak dish!

Great restaurant, would recommend to friends.

Only reservation was price, however it's NYC so you are paying a premium regardless.

Reviewed August 1, 2016 via mobile

I haven't been to Buddakan in a long time but my first time was great . I was pretty disappointed this time . Making reservations was very easy and Nyella was very accommodating as my party grew . The restaurant is trendy and loud. Once we were seated , we were told about the tasting menu - which seems to be the big push with a larger group. None of us were really interested in that and wanted to pick our own dishes - which was a big imposition for our server . She told us that our food would come out at different times and that they wouldn't keep tabs on who ordered what and food would be placed anywhere on table. At that point - I'm not sure what her job was . That was a turn off - and I was taken back the way they treated a big group - as they advertise to "celebrate your next group outing here ".
I was not told this over the phone when making a reservation . The food , thankfully, was delicious . I would not recommend this place for a group larger than 6 unless you want to be told what you have to eat .

1  Thank Josie319
Reviewed August 1, 2016

Buddakan came highly recommended to us and we came with high expectations. The atmosphere was nice, however, the food was average and overpriced.

Reviewed July 28, 2016 via mobile

Amazing decor and even better food! From the reception, to the lounge, to the magnificent dining room.., the place was exactly what we were looking for as far as Cool NYC feel... The food was spectacular. The edamame dumplings were delicious..the cauliflower lollipops very unique and couldn't get enough of them. Noodles were delicious and black Alaskan Cod was out of this world! The service matched the perfect food and even though we came with our 8 yr old twins they gave us first class service! Highly recommend.

1  Thank KPRL9
Reviewed July 28, 2016

This would have to be one of the best restaurants I have ever been to! My husband isn’t a big fan of Asian-cuisine, however he thoroughly enjoyed it too!

When we arrived, we were invited to sit in the front-bar section and wait to be seated. We were seated promptly upstairs (street level) which was nice, quieter than downstairs. We met our waitress for the night, Kristin, she was very friendly and knowledgeable, giving us advice on how much to order etc. From memory she recommended 2 x entrees, 2 x mains and a side between two people.

The food was incredible! We deviated a bit from the ‘recommendation’ lol… for those who may be interested, we ordered; edamame dumplings (a MUST), sesame shrimp toast, chili rock shrimp, black pepper beef, minced pork lo mein, vegetable rice and the popular crying chocolate dessert. The cocktails we drank were the Royal, Fate and the Clarity – highly recommend the Clarity! (I went for seconds!). The menu including pricing is all available on the Buddakan website – I also looked on opentable.com to see pictures of the food in advance, so I had an idea of what I wanted to try.

The bill wasn’t cheap (about USD240 including the tip) – but you know you’re up for that going in, and to be honest, the food and service really is worth every penny.

The restaurant interior is beautiful… it’s quite dark inside, but this adds to the great ambience. The downstairs area is amazing – and makes you feel like you’re right there at Carrie and Big’s engagement dinner! Good photo opportunity!

Couple of other things to note; I made our booking prior to my trip on opentable.com – I would recommend doing this in advance, as it books out quite quickly. Worth mentioning there’s free Wi-Fi in the restaurant – which is a plus! The location of the restaurant is also great – right next to Chelsea market.

Do yourself a favour and make sure you experience Buddakan – you will not regret it!! Cannot wait to revisit myself one day… soon I hope :)

1  Thank dia_gee