“Best pie in NYC”

Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: West Village
Description: John's of Bleecker Street is a historic pizzeria founded in 1929 by Italian immigrant John Sasso. It serves quintessentially New York coal-fired pizza, famous for its perfect brick-oven baked crust and zesty tomato sauce. John's is still family owned and operated, and boasts such celebrities as Conan O'Brien, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Danny DeVito. In 2016, it was voted #2 in America in the nationwide poll conducted by MSN.
Reviewed 13 March 2018

in my opinion its the quintessential place to go for Pizza in Manhattan. 2 large - 1 plain (the classic) and 1 with meaty bits and bobs - more than enough for 4. After a short queue, was nice to get in from the snow, inexpensive beers and free refills on sodas. Good service and inexpensive too.

1  Thank 7ChrisM2
Write a ReviewReviews (1,565)

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

If you’re in New York & love pizza you must try this place!! We went and had a the most amazing pizza ... we went at about 4:30/5 which was perfect time as we were able to walk straight in and get shown to a table. When we left there where people queuing to get seated!!

The pizzas where HUGE!! Shared one between the two of us and even that was struggle & we’re big eaters!! There was a bit of a wait but they were really busy & lots of people getting takeaway too so understandable.

Great to see lots of locals too...

2  Thank Melissa P
Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

Just had dinner at John's.
I have to say on entry I had reservations on proceeding further.
Sat and ordered. Staff were efficient but distant and didn't engage although by our accents it was obvious we were visitors to NYC.
Ordered a medium pizza and spaghetti and meatballs. Pizza I'm assured was good. I had a 6 inch bowl overflowing with spaghetti and not too much tomato sauce. Atop the spaghetti were 2 large fist sized meatballs. I thought the sauce average and meatballs I couldn't finish.
While this may suit other tastes this coupled with graffiti weren't to my taste.

1  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 12 March 2018

Visited recently and found it to be nice but not great although the meatballs were delicious! The pizza was good but I wouldn't be rushing back as Joe's is in the vicinity.

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

After visiting Eataly and Chelsea Market we walked in to the village in search of John’s for lunch. 6 of us seated straight away in a packed, and tiny, pizzeria. Ordered 2 pies between us, tomato and basil and meatballs, pepperoni and sausage.

The tomato and basil was one of the finest pizzas I have ever eaten: crisp thin base, outstanding flavours, just epic. The meatballs were full of flavour with an equally fabulous base.

Can’t be faulted, put this on your list but go hungry as they don’t sell slices.