“Superb anniversary dinner”
Review of Gotham Bar & Grill

Gotham Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Gotham Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 14,311 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$60 - US$150
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Cross street: 5th Ave + University Place
Transit: 4,5,6,N,R,W,Q to Union Square. Gotham is 2 blocks south on 12th Street. F,M to 14th Street. Gotham is 1 avenue east and 2 blocks south. 1,2,3 to 14th Street. Gotham is 2 avenues east and 2 blocks south.
Reviewed December 11, 2017

We visited Gotham Bar and Grill for our wedding anniversary and had a fantastic experience. From the welcome where the recognised our special occasion to a fantastic dinner our experience was superb.

Despite arriving on time we were asked to wait in the bar area which allowed us the opportunity to enjoy some drinks (a salubrious old fashioned and champagne).

The atmosphere is busy and bustling but was not too noisy and it was easy to have a conversation at the table without the noise of the busy restaurant interfering.

With an elegant ambiance and decor and unobtrusive but very efficient service we had a wonderful first trip to Gotham and if we lived in New York I am sure we would visit more often.

The menu is arranged in 1st, 2nd and 3rd courses but essentially 1st and 2nd are appetisers and 3rd are mains. The food was delicious. We ordered Shellfish Bisque and Wild Mushroom Risotto to start which were so tasty I wanted more. For main course I ordered 28 Day Dry Aged New York Steak which was melt i the mouth good and one of the best steaks I have eaten (and I have eaten a few). My wife ordered Ora King Salmon which she enjoyed.

The bill was close to $400 making it an expensive but worthy indulgence.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,557)

Reviewed December 8, 2017 via mobile

Thank for the nice evening we’ve spent at this very classy restaurant where we were seated at the best table. Verily lively ambiance and still not really noisy. Pleasant service - indeed, Dan seems to like his job. Our meals were both excellent and I appreciated the nice wine list as well.

Reviewed December 6, 2017 via mobile

Dinner here is an experience. The restaurant is certainly legendary. This was our first time here and I must say it was an amazing dining experience. Of course, be warned you will pay for this experience. Dinner for a party of four with a few cocktails and no wine came to $550. The portion sizes are medium to small and four of us splitting three appetizers didn’t get much to eat. That being said, the seafood salad and pumpkin tortellini were incredible. Our entrées were beautifully presented and delicious as well. Loved the lobster and sea bass. I did not find the restaurant particularly quiet, rather the opposite. But the space itself is NYC elegant. The service was equally wonderful. Definitely an extravagance, at least for me, but worth it.

Reviewed December 4, 2017

We've been to the Gotham Bar & Grill for lunch numerous times and have always had a wonderful experience. Our first dinner there this past weekend was not quite as rewarding. The restaurant is beautiful and is nicely decorated for the Holidays but it was very noisy. We had a reservation but had to wait 15 minutes to be seated as it was very crowded. The service was good but not outstanding eg; I had to remind our waiter three times that I had ordered a glass of wine. For my first course, I had the Muscovy Duck and Foie Gras Terrine. It was good but lacked that punch of flavor I was hoping for. We had the Niman Ranch steak special which was $100. It was very good but not worth that price. The Rack of Lamb was also very good but needed more of a sear on the outside and additional seasoning and, the lamb reduction was very sparse. We both had the sorbets for dessert which were very good but, again, not exceptional. I'm being very picky with this review based on this restaurants reputation and the prices they charge. Everything should be exceptional but it wasn't...it was just very good at a very high price. We'll be back for lunch!

Reviewed December 2, 2017

Sometimes you want to go to a restaurant with good food and quiet enough to easily carry on a conversation with those at the table. Gotham Bar & Grill is your place. I have been to the restaurant a few times and again just recently. I would recommend the Beet Salad and the Free Range Chicken. The wait staff is knowledgable and professional. They are there when you need them but do not seem to hover over the table. If you want to talk, they let you sit and talk. An ideal restaurant for good food and good conversation.