“Delicious lobster rolls!!!!!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed December 28, 2016

My husband and I booked our Dec 2016 trip to New York City in Jan 2016 and I spent a good chunk of time between researching and planning our itinerary; TripAdvisor was one of my main sources for ideas. I can't recall precisely but I expect that I decided to visit Lukes Lobster based on TripAdvisor information. I do remember well that I researched Lukes Lobster locations and used reviews to decide on the following - (1) I wanted to visit the Fidi location over the Plaza food hall as the Plaza food hall prices are more expensive. (2) Also, although Lukes Lobster offers more than lobster (e.g. crab, chowder etc.) it is the lobster alone which was recommended, whereas the other dishes were not rated so based on this I chose to get the lobster roll alone rather than anything else.

The Luke's Lobster website is really easy to navigate, visually appealing and has lots of useful information - including menus and prices - to be able to plan your trip.

On day 3 of our 6 day trip we ate at Lukes Lobster at South William Street in Fidi and loved the lobster rolls!!! So much so that on our last day when we were talking about our best bits of our trip it prompted us to go to the Plaza food hall Luke's Lobster for our last lunch - this was quite close to our hotel and we'd been down to the food hall for a look around before but not eaten there. This location has a subway station nearby and the food hall itself is a lovely place to eat in my opinion - well kempt, beautiful surroundings with lots of choices for food and drink.

The venue was less visually appealing than the Fidi location (but nothing wrong with it) and doesn't have a seating area of its own however, there are seats near the entrance/escalators for the food hall which is where we managed to sit. As you can probably appreciate the food hall is a very busy place and we were concerned we wouldn't get a seat to be able to enjoy our food, I think we were lucky. There was a 'disagreement' between a seated patron waiting for a friend and a lady looking for a table whilst we ate.

The young gentleman at the counter who served us was down to earth and friendly. Our rolls took a little longer to arrive than at the Fidi location but were still incredibly quick - under 5 minutes - and it did seem even busier here.

The rolls were toasted more and had more seasoning on than the ones we ate at the Fidi location so they tasted different but were just as enjoyable and delicious; I enjoyed both rolls in different ways. These rolls weren't served with a gherkin/pickle (one of those sliced green things that most American eateries serve alongside sandwiches etc.) like at the Fidi location but there was a sign saying you could have one if you liked; I preferred this as I don't like these and don't like wasting food. The roll was $18 which seems quite expensive but I suppose when you consider it's lobster meat and the roll is literally jam packed with it it's actually not expensive really; it is a dollar more expensive than the Fidi location.

I would definitely recommend Luke's Lobster for the lobster rolls, yummy! And I enjoyed the Plaza food hall.

1  Thank Charlimcbean

Reviewed December 27, 2016

First time in New York, I can't miss it! it's a delicious crispy roll filled with super yummy lobster. I have enjoyed it.

Reviewed December 21, 2016

We bought take away and had a Lovely lunch in central park. we bought a noah's ark and it was delish! The whole experience was Lovely!

Reviewed December 18, 2016

I'm no lobster roll expert but this sandwich was delicious. My son and I got the lobster roll and the crab roll and shared the two. They were both very good. The lobster was sweet and the crab had large lumps. You must ask for a pickle. It just adds to the greatness.

We went on a busy Saturday afternoon and there was a line but we only waited about 10 minutes. There is no seating for this place but there are some common seating areas for all guests. That was a bit of a nightmare but after 15 minutes we finally caught someone as they were leaving and snagged a seat.

Lastly, It's pretty expensive. Lobster roll + crab roll + 2 drinks and 2 chips = $42! Nothing's cheap in NY!

Reviewed December 16, 2016

Pros

- Lobster Roll tasted okay - but just okay - nothing special

- Purchased a Maine Ginger Brew to go with the lobster roll - delicious

Cons

- Ludicrously overpriced at $18 (Britons - that's £14.48) for the tiniest bread roll with some lobster placed in it (see photo)

- Artsy-fartsy nautical stall promises much but delivers a very average item

- Two male staff members had no sense of food hygiene

- Butter sauce sucked up out of a pot on the counter with a huge turkey baster type pipette and squirted over the roll - really stomach churning

- Plaza Food hall had very limited seating so I headed back to hotel to eat the roll

If compared to an M&S prawn mayo sandwich at £2.20 (London and NYC prices are fairly similar) then the taste and price point of the M&S item wins claws down.