“Yukgaejang and Service!”

Shozen Japanese Barbeque
Ranked #2,017 of 5,192 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

Fantastic service! Friendly staff, and two of them checked on me regularly. I tried Yukgaejang for the first time, and yum! I was able to ask about directions for eating my food, and they were very accommodating. That was great since it was the first time I had a dish like this. They could charge more! I wish I could have eaten it all.

Reviewed 2 April 2017

Like a lot of my reviews, I look for the 'diamonds in the rough'. Usually, small family-run restaurants that have quality food. My theory is that these types of restaurants can only survive in a competitive restaurant market by providing good food for a reasonable price.

Shozen is a good example.

I have been to this restaurant twice in the past few months and both times the quality of the food has been excellent. As in any BBQ restaurant you get to have the cooked food to your exact preference. The side dishes are numerous and tasty, although I preferred the sides better last time. The Kimchi was a little too salty and spicy this time.
The seafood was excellent.

The service was prompt and friendly.

The other sign I watch is how busy the restaurant is. For a Thursday night, I was surprised how busy it was and there were also clearly many family and friends there. A good sign.

Reviewed 10 July 2016

What a disaster. You cook what you order at a small barbecue at the table. We could barely fit enough on to eat for more than a few minutes, then it's cook some more. With the foil packets you had a hard time telling how well you were cooking. And nothing really tasted very good, especially for all the work entailed. And the place was so noisy! We won't go again. Maybe it's a good place if you have kids you want to keep busy.

Reviewed 28 June 2016 via mobile

Been here twice and the food was very good. Service is friendly but not that helpful.
Menu is a little difficult to read and understand how the system works.

Reviewed 10 January 2016

This place is really a Korean BBQ restaurant. You select your food items and BBQ at your table. The Bento box sushi is really good and prepared for take out. The bento box is fresh, inexpensive, authentic and very tasty.