“West Coast Fried Chicken Heaven ”
Review of The Crack Shack

The Crack Shack
Ranked #121 of 5,226 Restaurants in San Diego
Description: All day chicken & eggs.
Description: All day chicken & eggs.
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

There are no Publix grocery stores outside of the SE, and there were no great fried chicken spots in SD, until The Crack Shack. Read the card on the tray that explains that the chicken is not injected. It’s the freshest, not grown by chemicals-chicken, ever. Everything chicken is amazing from traditional, to boneless sandwich and slaw topped. Yes, the cost is more and yes it’s totally worth it. @richardblais is genius and we don’t have to fly to the south to sweat while eating fried chicken.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

On a recent visit to San Diego for work I reconnected with some friends I used to work with in Okinawa. Two of us are from the Southeast (Southern Virginia and North Carolina), and somehow we ended up going to this Fried Chicken place in the midst of a Mecca of Asian, Mexican and Middle Eastern food paradise! We sat at the bar and had difficulty choosing from a great selection of beers - though this isn't usual for San Diego. I had the Firebird which is fried chicken thigh Sandwich with ranch and crispy onions. We also ordered Mexican Poutine Fries which are their Schmaltz Fries with pollo asado (chicken) with jalapeno cheese. Compared to Southern Fried Chicken the sandwich was just okay and a little pricey (what can I expect in San Diego?) The fries were pretty good and salvaged the food experience for me. The outdoor atmosphere was nice and the wait staff very friendly with great service. Enjoyed the reunion with friends at this place, but if it were up to me I'd pick another restaurant.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Checked this out due to trip advisor reviews. Very long line. Waited for about 45 minutes. The food was good but The wait was too long. Prices were reasonable. Not much explanation by staff on where sauces were or that food was getting brought in.
I probably would skip this place next time I go to San Diego.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Why it is such a long line? We got the 10 pcs fried chicken. It was okay. There wasn’t very much meat on it it was more like eating fried crust with a side of chicken and bones. They have a variety of sauces. If you’re from the Midwest you know what real fried chicken tastes like and this isn’t it. They don’t carry very many sodas the only ones they carry is diet Pepsi, pepsi and stubborn sodas. They are overpriced and it is a rat race to get a spot. But the staff is very friendly. A neat atmosphere with planes flying ahead.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

The chicken sandwiches are huge. They are very flavorful and the outside seating is interesting. The only drawback is if it's cold or windy. Definitely try it!