“Great music, welcoming atmosphere & good food”

Bourre Southern Bistro
Ranked #2,169 of 5,554 Restaurants in San Diego
Reviewed 11 January 2018

This is a local gem and we thoroughly enjoyed our evening. A great band called Motel Swing were playing - awesome music and singing. Made the evening! Staff were very nice and welcoming. Food was just good. Looking forward to going again.

Reviewed 18 November 2017

OK - we are always looking for good southern, New Orleans type food. My daughter found this place on Yelp and the reviews were good, so we gave it a try on Friday evening. We had reservations for four people at 6:30. We were greeted warmly by a nice lady (the owner, I think) and directed to a table. My daughter advised that Yelp offered a $50 for $25 coupon, so that was a pleasant surprise. The menu was interesting and being the oyster freak that I am, I was all excited about the "Oyster Loaf". We ordered three different appetizers - fried tomatoes (good), meat pies (fair) and red beans/rice (very good). Entrees were Steak Oscar (very good), Jambalaya (fair/too salty), Shrimp Po Boy (fair), Oyster Loaf (fair minus). The oyster loaf was particularly disappointing - five fried oysters on a dry sub roll. The oysters were lukewarm, at best, and were not freshly fried (meaning more than several minutes ago).
We all enjoy southern jazz, but not loud, shrilly trumpets while eating. The music was overbearing and annoying - save the music for after dining entertainment.
Now it was time to pay the bill. We mentioned the $50/$25 coupon to the server and he said he needed to check with the manager. The manager (maybe the owner) informed us that the coupons were not valid during music/entertainment. My daughter politely stated there was no mention of that on Yelp or the coupon. He said that it was stated on the "full" coupon, but rather than have an argument, he would honor it "this time". This morning, before writing my review, I pulled up and printed the full coupon. There is no mention of any restriction for entertainment or music and I am not a fan of "bait and switch". We did not go there because of the coupon - it was discovered after the reservation was made - very disappointing.
There are better places to enjoy this type of food, so I will not go back.

Reviewed 22 June 2017

We were looking forward to a Southern restaurant find nearby. While warmly greeted upon entering, and being seated at a table in a nice room, the rest of the experience was disappointing. The salad was simple and unimpressive. Had about finished the catfish (which was good but lacked a sauce) when the waitress offered to bring a sauce (too late). Jambalaya was bland. Portions were small for the price. Won't be visiting here again. Sad.

Reviewed 19 June 2017

A small strip mall restaurant located in the Rolando area. They offer live entertainment
several times a month. Food is very good but nothing great. The facility is light on ambiance but comfortable for dinner and listening to the music. A big surprise was no alcohol served except when live music is playing.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

Went to check out the live entertainment, trio band Rx3 made for an enjoyable evening out with family the place was packed but we didn't mind, it just added to that cool jazz club vibe. I tried the crab cakes and fried chicken watermelon salad it was fresh and the flavors blended well. My family had catfish, crawfish bisque, crawfish Mac n cheese, steak Oscar and pear salad. All of us cleaned our plates and were to full for dessert. It did seem to take awhile for our food order but we got caught up in the band and relaxing over a bottle of wine and the food delay was well worth the wait. This place has gotten popular and reservations are recommended.