1,066 results
All reviews bank building gaslamp quarter meeting room valet parking beautiful hotel house of blues the gas lamp district presidential suite walking distance horton plaza balboa park lobby bar valet service uss midway street noise high floor homeless people
Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

Technically this is not a 5 star luxury hotel but it’s very special because of the historical content.

Marriot converted the old Bank of San Diego building into a wonderful nostalgic place to stay. I’m so happy to see the investment they made to preserve and reuse.

I love the old marble columns and insanely tall decorative ceilings. The marble stairs and hallways, bronze trimmed elevators and the solid wood oversized doors - some with the original bronze mail slots still in them. It speaks of old world banker elegance.

The staff is super friendly. Overnight parking is 47 but it offers in and out privileges and the valets offer great service.

You can get a free tour of the old vaults in the basement from the bell hops. Definitely worth checking out as an exclusive offer to guests.

The rooms are spacious but not extravagant. Super comfy beds.

The lounge bar is small but is full service and also staffed with great people.

A really great place to stay and enjoy the Gas Lamp which is only a short walk.

Booked through AAA gave me a significant discount over any other offer. Will visit again.

Stayed: May 2018, traveled solo
Jerico C, Guest Service Supervisor at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2018

Hello Bacinac,

Thank you for this wonderful review you left us. I'm very proud to say that I am part of this team that drives the level of expertise when it comes to our guest's stay. We definitely revel at the grandest of our property and the ambiance it gives off. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the old world reformed into something anew. It is quite the sight. I thank you for staying with us and hope to see you back soon. Please feel free to give us a call here at the property if you have any questions. Again thank you!!

Reviewed 8 May 2018

The service at check-in was outstanding. Mark was very professional, polite and eager to please. He verified the information on my reservation and was finished in a second. He offered some free bottles of water. Very nice gesture. All through my 3-day stay, whenever Mark saw me, he greeted me by name. My room was spotless, quiet and the bed was very comfortable. The hotel is in a former bank building and it is beautiful. The lobby is decorated in handsome wood, high ceiling with Travertine marble floors. The only criticism I have is the lack of draws to place the contents from suitcases. There was just one small drawer in the nightstand. It was a nuisance to use my suitcases for clothing, etc. during my stay. But I highly recommend this hotel. It is downtown near the Gaslamp Quarter which offers many good restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled solo

Hello BeethovenBuff,

Thank you for the wonderful review you left us. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Also with Mark's expertise you were able to enjoy the area more and your stay. I'm very proud to hear that Mark has done an outstanding job in assisting you. I will make sure he gets this wonderful feedback and I'll also make sure that our managers will get the time to read this. Again we thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you back again.

Reviewed 6 May 2018

We stayed here because of the location. It is within walking distance to lots of restaurants and bars. The nightlife in the area was lively. The building is an old bank so the hotel is very interesting. The staff was friendly and helped us with information on local restaurants and attractions. Rooms were small but clean and comfortable. Be warned, the only parking at this hotel is valet at a high rate of $47 per night. We found a public parking lot around the corner for our second night which was $30 night.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank lynnetravels2017

Hello lynnetravels2017,

Thank you for the review you left us. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Although valet is a bit expensive i'm still happy to hear to hear that you enjoyed our prime location of the Gaslamp District. again we thank you for staying with us. We hope to see again soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2018

I recently stayed here with my wife celebrating our 5 year anniversary. Shout out to Crystal Peterson at the front desk who rose above and beyond her normal duties to make our stay extra special. We stayed in a corner room on the 12th floor with great views of the city. Hotel was very clean and the king sized bed was extremely comfortable. Within walking distance to many great restaurants and bars in the Gas Lamp. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: As always the higher floors have greater views...
  • Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ocloanshark

Hello ocloanshark,

Thank you for the wonderful review you left us. I know my response is a bit a late but rest assure we have brought this to Crystals attention and the rest of our managers attention. We are very happy to know that she did wonderful in assisting you during your stay with us. Again thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you back again.

Reviewed 9 April 2018

Lovely position in San Diego make sure you get the highest floor we were on the eighth starting for 5mins on the second the noise was unbelievable.
Everything was expensive in the hotel drinks food etc .
Happy hour only included a few selected drinks so a misarable your for some.

Room Tip: Above the eighth floor
Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple

Hello Peter H,

Thanks for the review. I know it's a really late response but I assure you that your feedback matter to us. I just want to say thank you for staying with us. I know there's a few things that you didn't enjoy on our property and i will make sure to pass it on to the appropriate team. Again thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you back in our property.