“Fabulous Desserts!”

Ranked #227 of 5,554 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Joe and Frank Busalacchi created this Italian cafe-style concept, and you'll find that this delightful setting gets attention around the clock. Casual and spirited food is served. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served daily. Diners enjoy lingering over coffee and sumptuous desserts created by pastry maker Frank who was trained by a Sicilian master. Whether you are in the mood for pizza, pasta, seafood, chicken, or veal, this is the place. Also, make sure you treat your sweet tooth to one of the sinful desserts. Here you'll find some of the most incredible delectables not found anywhere else in San Diego. You would have to go to Sicily to find items such as the cassata Sicilian, "the cake of Sicily," a beautiful creation of marzipan, sponge cake, ricotta, and fruits with a pretty floral design. It, like the pastries, desserts, and gelato, is made fresh on the premises.There's more: try the arancini, a fried golden brown rice ball filled with meat or mozzarella cheese, or sample the calzone or brioche filled with meat or peas. After your meal you also simply must try the homemade gelato, featured in flavors such as, pistachio, strawberry, hazelnut, chocolate chip, or limone. Cafe Zucchero's menu lists fine panini (sandwiches) such as the Italiano with eggplant, mozzarella cheese, and extra virgin olive oil, or the pollo (with grilled chicken, onions, avocado, and tomato). There are a few pasta/risotto dishes - try the pasta with Italian sausage, capers, olives, and tomatoes. The contadina also is a good choice.
Reviewed 15 November 2016

I honestly haven't had a meal here in a very long time. The one time I had a meal here, it was very good. But I usually come here for the wonderful Italian desserts. They have a case with several flavors of gelato, and a long pastry case with many items. Of course they have wonderful canolis! There are some cakes, tiramisu, and napoleon things. I like one pastry that I think is called a Genoa, that is a turnover type pastry with a ricotta filling.

Reviewed 15 November 2016

Four of us went for breakfast at Cafe Zucchero. It was wonderful! They have a wide variety of offerings for full breakfasts, as well as outstanding pastries and excellent coffee. I ordered the corn beef hash, and it was the best I have ever had (and I have had a lot!) The others in the party had a variety of omelettes - short rib and Palermo style. They were also very good. The following day my wife and I returned for coffee and pastries. Both the croissants and the cannoli were tasty.
I highly recommend Cafe Zucchero for breakfast!

Reviewed 31 October 2016 via mobile

I had a wonderful spaghetti and meatballs dinner at this truly historic restaurant. The food was exceptional and the server staff amazing.

Reviewed 30 October 2016

Our hotel had a nice little continental breakfast but on our last morning we wanted something more substantial. We walked around the corner in little Italy and found this place. Lots of good choices on the menu. I had a breakfast sandwich. It was on a giant croissant. It was so good but I couldn't finish it. My husband had eggs with corned beef hash that he enjoyed. The coffee was delicious!

Reviewed 17 October 2016

I had the seafood linguini, it was OK. I have had much better and I must admit, my expectations were much higher given the rave reviews. I would have preferred larger pieces of seafood, scallops and shrimps but that wasn't the case. The fried calamari were amongst the worst I have had. We were a group of 8. 3 people had the pork osso bucco and they did say it was tender. There are far too many other restaurants to explore in the area, this just wasn't good enough for a second visit, for me.