“Delicious French Toast!”

Cuisines: American, Diner, Deli
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Cafe 222 has been the local dining institution for nearly 25 years in San Diego. This quirky-corner eatery has become famous from it's many appearances on the Food Network and for the owner who from time-to-time can be found wearing a waffle on her head. This shoebox-size of a restaurant has plenty of seating, offers indoor, street side patio dining as well as an upper garden patio area. Dogs and kids are welcome with well-behaved parents. Reservations are not accepted but if there is a wait to get in, it moves quickly and the staff passes out banana bread and coffee to those in line to make the wait more pleasant.
Reviewed 26 February 2018

Took family here for breakfast on a weekday morning at 8:30ish. 5 minute wait to sit outside. Outside has heaters which is good as it was a little cool. Server was very friendly. Food was delicious. Teenagers gave it a thumbs up.

Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

I have never seen quite this many options on a breakfast menu! It was a tough decision but finally I opted for pancakes with bacon and eggs. The pancakes were fluffy and tasty, and the eggs nicely cooked. I couldn't finish the second pancake as they were huge!

The service was excellent - friendly and efficient.

Reviewed 14 February 2018

Cafe 222 did not disappoint. The restaurant was decorated in such a way to welcome you with its cup and saucer lighting. The waiter was attentive and friendly, wanting to keep us happy. The menu offered many breakfast alternatives. I tried the Blueberry Corn Bread Waffle and it was delicious. I would order it again if I am ever in San Diego again. The fruit my sister-in-law ordered looked fresh and delicious. I would highly recommend Cafe 222. Just go early as the place is small and can only accommodate a few people at one time.

Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

I came here for the peanut butter and banana French toast that Bobby Flay lauded on the TV show “The Best I thing I Ever Ate,” and it was good, but definitely not even close to the best thing I ever ate. If you like banana and peanut butter sandwiches, I’m sure you’ll like this even better, as it’s very similar tasting but just a bit sweeter. If you’re a French toast lover who isn’t particularly tied to the peanut butter and banana combo, I’d suggest trying another dish or restaurant (there are sooo many good French toast/pancake/waffle places in this city)! The atmosphere and service was great though.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

We actually had brunch here as we had just arrived in San Diego. Great selection of delicious brunch items. Would go again.

Been to Cafe 222? Share your experiences!