“Amazing omakase”

Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Pacific Beach
Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

Make a reservation at least a week ahead of time. The food was fresh, thoughtful and delicious. Highly recommend the omakase!

Reviewed 9 April 2017

I was a little nervous after reading the reviews that we wouldn't be able to get in. We called ahead for a lunch reservation on a Friday and they were able to accommodate us. My husband used to work for a Japanese company, so he has had more than his fair share of sushi. He said this was the freshest sushi he has ever eaten. We had a soft shell crab roll, a shrimp tempura roll, and a spicy tuna roll. The crab and shrimp roll were large I.e. (Wide pieces of sushi). The tuna was creamy like texture. All very tasty. Service was fine, we did not feel rushed at all. The restaurant was packed!

Reviewed 30 March 2017 via mobile

I was craving sushi and heard this was one of the best in PB. I concur completely. The spicy sushi is divine. Reservations a must, fortunately we were able to get in on the same day that we called. Cannot recommend this place enough!

Reviewed 28 March 2017 via mobile

Our experience started with a very difficult reservation. After numerous calls, we finally connected. We were told that we could only come in for 5:30, which we said was fine. Then the person taking the reservation said that we would have to be done by 7. Which was also fine. Then, each day for the next five, I received a phone call to confirm we were still coming.

I thought that either these people don't have a master book or they are super busy or both. Either way, we were very excited to try San Diego's top rated sushi.

Upon arrival, we were given a piece of paper with the daily specials. I thought I had to be seeing things when the top item on the features paper was sashimi (32 pieces) for $185. Maybe they had a decimal in the wrong spot? This was supposed to be $$-$$$.

Nope. Upon further review, the maki prices were an equally indigestible $20+ per roll. Sashimi at $15 for five pieces of salmon? But the place was very busy so I thought to myself, stop being cheap, the food must be out of this world.

Our drink orders were taken, and within one minute, received our drinks. Not ready to order the sushi just yet. Sorry. Come back in a couple minutes please. One minute later, the same waitress asking if we had any questions. No. We will need a couple more minutes though. Next time, an older lady came by and asked us if we were ready to order. Is this for real? We just sat down. Leave us alone already. With all your people standing at the front desk, we will motion for you when our order is ready. The three generations at the front desk all appeared to be taking orders from the main person who was ruling with an iron fist, dispatching waitresses here and there. Too efficient?

Ok, ready to order. Is the spinach a goma ae or just steamed? Just steamed with no sauce. Ok we will have one of those with the rest of our order. "Write it down on the order sheet". Hmmm. You have our order sheet. Ok. I will write it down now that I have the sheet back. Strange and awkward at best. Very rude at worst.

On to the food. Very simple miso soup. Not too salty. Spinach was very good and did indeed have a subtle sauce which was very good. The negi toro hand cone was very good and fresh as well. The boys liked their chicken teriyaki plates although it was not memorable. The Protein roll was beautiful. Other than that, nothing too memorable.

For five people the bill came to $186. And we were wanting more. But with the waitresses coming every minute to remove one more empty plate, we got the impression that we were no longer wanted in the restaurant taking up space. That was at 6:15. We had 45 minutes and were harassed for the first ten and last 15 minutes!

I mentioned to the drill sargeant at the end that we felt rushed and she smiled and said that she was "so sorry" whilst obviously knowing what she does to her staff and clients.

I would definitely NOT recommend this restaurant for a relaxing meal. Perhaps take out would be a better idea, but be prepared to break the bank for it.

2  Thank Mahulu
Reviewed 20 March 2017

This is still one the best sushi places in San Diego... EXCEPT I feel that it's gone down a NOTCH. Not in quality but in the way you're ushered in and out of this place. The fish is fresh but it just didn't feel as special as Sushi Tadokoro. There's nothing WRONG with Sushi Ota... but I just felt that Tadokoro is a bit better in the overall experience.