“Best I've had”

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner
Neighborhood: Mission Beach
Description: Sushi with a splash! Besides delicious Pacific Rim inspired sushi and small plates, this newly opened rooftop restaurant is also serving up the best view in San Diego! Sit down and enjoy a refreshing craft cocktail and one of the many amazing menu options while you take in the breathtaking scenery. With thoughtful details and accents, Cannonball transports you to a pool-like setting without all the splashing and twice the views!
Reviewed 20 March 2017 via mobile

I ordered their yellowfin tuna roll and edamame, both the best I have ever had. View of the ocean from the roof top was also fantastic. They also have fire pit nooks that are cozy and hard to leave. So much fun! I also ordered their cherry blossom cocktail which was a great and had a balanced flavor. I will be back

1  Thank Sbescup

Reviewed 16 March 2017

The beach & the proximity to the ocean (aka on the beach) are the main draws of Cannonball. The sushi is incredibly average if bland and the service is the slowest I've experienced in a while. To wit, my friend and I waited 45 minutes for 1 sushi roll when there were hardly any patrons in the bar. If you can flag a bartender, they are all very nice, but again, took me 20 minutes to catch one's attention. Also, I was surprised that they only had 1 non-IPA on tap; in a place like SD, I'd love to see more options from the many wonderful local breweries. If you're in a particularly beachy mood and don't mind waiting a while, this is an average option.

1  Thank Bseblgrl3
Reviewed 10 March 2017

Stopped by on a weekend night and got seated right away. Good for watching the sunset and the moon and stars rise. Excellent miso soup, much better than most. Equally good tempura. The sushi rolls are complex and good, but huge... easy to over order! I'd go again.

Reviewed 28 February 2017

At the epicenter of Mission Beach, this restaurant would have a captive clientele regardless of how good the food is. We strolled in for lunch on a cool Saturday and had a choice of waiting for a table or taking a seat at the bar. There were a ton of empty tables with 'Reserved' signs. No biggie, we still had a nice view of the beach. The bartender who took care of us was great. Drinks were good. Food was excellent! We were amazed that what kind of looks like a tourist trap would have such delicious food. We had sandwiches (short rib and chicken) and some sushi, all of which tasted great. Another plus: the restrooms were spotless. Don't shy away from this place because of the location. I'll be back.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 14 February 2017

The food and the ambiance is fantastic at this beach front restaurant. Tourists to San Diego will LOVE this place. BUT, the service is very slow, waitresses disappear and don't come by often, and the food does not come out together and is very slow. I don't really want to wait for 20 minutes for a sushi roll, especially when they served my husband ahead of me and I sat and waited....poor service. The manager came out and made it better, but be prepared to wait and wait and enjoy the sunset because this long wait on service is a common problem.

Date of visit: February 2017