“So much to take away and practice!”

San Diego Photography Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: San Diego Photography Tours offers walking photo tours and photo tours by vehicle. Our specialized tours are a creative alternative to generic sightseeing tours. Our professional photographer guides give you personalized attention as they show you how to take better photographs of San Diego’s key sites and hidden gems. We take you to the best vantage points, at the best time of the day, and entertain you with fun stories and facts about San Diego during our sightseeing photo "workshops."
Reviewed 6 January 2018

Booked Julie for a pre-Xmas photography walk in San Diego with the emphasis on learning tips & techniques for creative photography. My wife came along for the walk & historic interest, was press ganged into being my unpaid model. Julie had me complete a pre-walk survey & made the effort to tailor the tour to my relatively low level of knowledge etc. It was a hugely beneficial afternoon, although it reinforced that there's a lot more to photography than buying fancy gear! I have enough things to practice (especially after her extensive follow-up email) to keep me going for about a year, which is more than i expected. Very helpful and all delivered with great enthusiasm and fun. A great, informative afternoon with the added benefit of finding out something about the history of downtown, which buildings used to be brothels (most of them apparently) back in the day :-)

Julie K, Owner at San Diego Photography Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2018

Peter- I'm glad you got the blurring trolley shots and streaking headlights and tailights; you are now an expert at all things shutter speed related... including dissapearing people! Good luck with your photography!

All reviews
"novice"
"tailor"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 11 April 2017

I booked a five hour private tour with Julie. I wanted to learn how to improve my photography, get more comfortable with manual shooting and did she teach me! For five hours she did a show and tell (and critique) and also gave information about the places we visited. I came away with so many ideas, got so much inspiration and learned so much. It was worth every penny and I will definitely take an other tour next year.

SanDiegoPhotoTo... J, Owner at San Diego Photography Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2017

Bernadette - I loved your spirit, energy and enthusiasm toward photography and all of the new things I taught you, especially the 3 techniques for purposely moving the camera. I wish you the best of luck with your future pet photography business! As you suggested, I look forward to doing a part 2 next time you visit!

Reviewed 31 March 2017

It was not my first time in San Diego, so the challenge of Julie was to find some great sunset spots, where I haven't been before. Julie overcame all expectations she is a super pro guide, she knows the best time to visit any particular location & the best points to shoot. We made a lot of great photos & had a lot of fun. Highly recommended!

SanDiegoPhotoTo... J, Owner at San Diego Photography Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2017

Dmitry/Igor: I'm happy that we were able to do the tour very last minute. You both were a blast and I'm thrilled that we had both a beautiful golden hour and gorgeous sunset light. Hopefully next time you can come back for a longer stay!

Reviewed 9 March 2017

My husband gave me a four hour tour with Julie for my birthday. I am an amateur photography and we were visiting the San Diego area for a month. Julie brought me to another level with my skills through her enthusiastic and thorough instruction. I truly appreciated not only the time I spent with her, but also her excellent follow-up and pre-tour information. I highly recommend the San Diego Photography Tour.

SanDiegoPhotoTo... J, Owner at San Diego Photography Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2017

I'm glad you got to know your camera better. I loved your excitement of discovering all the wonderful things you can do with slow shutter speeds and long exposures! And I'm thrilled that you got to use some of the new techniques which I taught you during your other days here while you visited some of the other attractions of the area.

See more reviews
Reviewed 7 March 2017

We booked a 4 hour photography tour with Julie and for the most part we loved the tour. She was very thorough and gave many details for our cameras and pointers about how to take better pictures. We had a good time and learned quite a bit.

The only thing that was a little frustrating was that we were hoping to get out to more locations for picture taking. We spent LOTS of time sitting in the Starbucks just going over information that was a little over our heads. I thought I was clear with what we wanted out of our tour but maybe I wasn't. If you book with her make sure you are clear about what you expect. I think she would be willing to be flexible.

We did end up with some great pictures and saw some great parts of La Jolla that we wouldn't have otherwise seen on our own.

I enjoyed giving a tour to your family — what a fun activity for you all to do together!
Although you all came in with different cameras, skill levels, and photography goals, I'm glad each of you seemed to learn something new and enjoy the tour. It was great to show you some parts of La Jolla you hadn't seen before, and I hope the group photos I took of you end up on your family photo blog!