“Great photography tour of Balboa park at dusk”

San Diego Photography Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: San Diego Photography Tours offers walking photo tours and photo tours by vehicle. Our specialized tours are a creative alternative to generic sightseeing tours. Our professional photographer guides give you personalized attention as they show you how to take better photographs of San Diego’s key sites and hidden gems. We take you to the best vantage points, at the best time of the day, and entertain you with fun stories and facts about San Diego during our sightseeing photo "workshops."
Reviewed 5 January 2017

I took a private tour with Julie and we took pictures in Balboa park in December. I only had time for 2 hours, but Julie was able to pack a lot of valuable tips and instructions into the class. She reconnected me with many functions of my camera I had forgotten about. She was able to arrange the meeting on short notice and we had a lot of fun. I returned home with great memories and many interesting pictures.

SanDiegoPhotoTo... J, Owner at San Diego Photography Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2017

I hope you have fun making your flowers come alive with the "camera twisting" technique I taught you. And I love how you gravitated toward color and flowers. Yes, it was really fun showing you new techniques and the beautiful park too!

All reviews
"a lot of fun"
"julie"
in 78 reviews

Reviewed 30 October 2016

Julie provided an enlightening tour of downtown San Diego that would have been worthy investment of time and money just for the historic information she imparted. But that was just the beginning. She did an outstanding job of sharing her extensive knowledge of photography composition tips and tricks. She was very organized and included an excellent introductory package before the tour and an extensive follow up after the fact complete with valuable links to photo equipment, and instructional websites.
Julie is very energetic, passionate about photography and her city and it shows!
She is an excellent communicator and a delightful person to be around.
I would highly recommend her tour to anyone with even someone with a moderate interest in photography.

1  Thank ejimmie
SanDiegoPhotoTo... J, Owner at San Diego Photography Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2016

Jim-

I'm thrilled that our timing was good and you got to experience my secret special sunset spot for city views. And I'm happy that you learned so much both about on how to use your new camera better and ideas for improving composition as well as stories about San Diego's history. I hope to do a part 2 for hour next visit!

Reviewed 25 October 2016

This was a great way to see San Diego with a little a bit history, as well. We were taken to areas we never would have seen as a tourist. She was patient and took the time to teach us so much about photographing. I wish I could take her on every vacation with me. Should I go be to San Diego, I will definitely use her again and I highly recommend her.

SanDiegoPhotoTo... J, Owner at San Diego Photography Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2016

I loved your enthusiasm to learn and was impressed at how quickly you picked up shooting in Manual mode. Both of you are well on your way to being great photographers! I hope you have more time next time you are in SD to do a part 2. Happy Shooting!

Reviewed 12 October 2016

I had found this service while searching for things to do in and around San Diego, but to call it a service is to fall short of doing it justice. I recommend contacting Julie in advance of your planned stay, although I waited until we arrived. Julie was very accommodating and made time to arrange a tour fully tailored to my desires, and level of knowledge. She offered to provide transportation if we did not want to drive. Our tour took in some beautiful sites around La Jolla and, because I am an beginner, she took the time to explain and instruct me on a wide range of topics which included the many settings I was not familiar with on my own camera. She could have just taken us to sites worth photographing, but Julie went beyond showing us the "sites" by giving us history and other information about San Diego and the specific areas we visited. Julie provides both printed and verbal instruction and follows up the tour with even more information and tips. Julie makes you feel comfortable even if you are not an experience photographer. Be prepared to listen and apply what she offers. I know that she helped me improve my technical knowledge and she encouraged me to apply my creative side. If you want to learn, improve, and have fun while doing it; this is a MUST tour to put on your list. The four hours we spent with Julie were filled up with fun. Step out and step up to the better artist in you.

1  Thank Wermuth
SanDiegoPhotoTo... J, Owner at San Diego Photography Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2016

I am thrilled that I was able to help you learn how to work your camera in manual, and show you how to take beautiful long exposure night photography shots, too. You certainly have some wonderful souvenir photos of our beautiful coastal areas to treasure for years to come!

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 September 2016

My tour actually started weeks before it began. After scheduling the date, Julie sent me a packet of information including handy tips on travel photography and a survey I could complete to describe my level of experience and any goals I had for the tour.

For me, those goals were simple. I wanted to have fun, capture awesome images, and come away a better photographer than when I started.

Julie picked me up from my hotel (right on time). On the way to our first location she provided recommendations for several out-of-the-way restaurants and descriptions of things I might want to do (both photo and non-photo related) during the remainder of my stay. It turns out, she gives "regular" tours as well and has amassed a lot of information on San Diego history and culture.

Once we got to our first of several locations, a secluded beach near La Jolla, she got down to business. For me, based on my goals, that business covered everything from equipment and technique to ways of interpreting a scene and extracting images that aren't immediately obvious. At least they weren't obvious to me before we started. Throughout the evening she suggested challenges and critiqued (in a kind and gentle way yet constructive way) my results. She explained, demonstrated, and let me try some simple accessories that made a world of difference in the right circumstances. She gave me insights into how she approaches photography and used our breathtaking locations to allow me to see the impact when I apply them.

I've been on several photo tours also led by professional photographers. However, they were with groups of people, anywhere from 6 to 12, and the per-person charge was (understandably) a bit less.

I knew about Julie from a series of Event Photography training videos she did with another San Diego photographer. From that I expected she would be a capable photographer. My only concern prior to going on the tour (which I expressed to her) was that I might not be able to fully leverage the value of a dedicated instructor/guide for the entire time of the tour.

What I didn't realize then and would like to share with you now is that Julie is an outstanding instructor who can tailor the evening to meet your objectives and effectively teach to whatever level you're at. In addition, I received the benefit of a professional tour guide who used the time we weren't taking pictures to give me a better appreciation of San Diego and what it has to offer.

Far from "not leveraging the value", I exceeded my expectations for all three of my "goals" and see her photo tour as one of San Diego's outstanding bargains.

2  Thank BobT287
SanDiegoPhotoTo... J, Owner at San Diego Photography Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2016

Bob - Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review and I’m privileged to be your inaugural review. I'm thrilled that you learned so much during our tour especially since you are such a knowledgeable photographer. I hope you have the opportunity to do more photo tours in other cities, too; and of course, that you can come back to San Diego for a part 2.

Been to San Diego Photography Tours? Share your experiences!