“The Good and the Interesting”

Hurricane River Cave
Ranked #4 of 15 things to do in Harrison
More attraction details
Owner description: Currently closed for restoration.
Reviewed July 30, 2015

I had read about this cave being a little less tourist and more adventurist so I was excited to get there. However I also read that owners of the cave recently changed and that prices were not what were listed on Web and tours less formal.

I would like to state that everything I had read was right. There are new owners (sort of). it is actually being run by neighbors who the bank asked to operate it after the owner died.

They are still learning their way around things and are just as frustrated by the out of date website that they have no access to other than the banker.

What they lack in experience they make up for in good old fashioned desire to be kind and tell you about the memories of the area.

Our guide was one of the sons who had been on his job for 4 days. He did a fine jobs leading us through the cave, but did not know much about formations and the such. The good news is I have been caving for 10+ years and love the opportunity to teach my kids. I am fairly sure the guide learned a bit as well. If he reads this he should remember me for this note: when stalactites and stalagmites meet it forms a column.

This is not a bring your grandma and 3 yo type of cave. Most paths are narrow enough you have to walk sideways, and low enough a 5 ft tall person must crouch.

What this cave is: MOSTLY UNTOUCHED BEAUTY!!

Unlike other more commercial caves this is a lost gem. While there is lighting and paths which are being updated as I post, the interior pathways make you feel like you are exploring a cave for the first time. To make it even better they offer cave expeditions which lead you into spaces touched by few, through flooded passages, and crevices tight enough I as a 250+ pound man might find almost painful if not for the joy of exploring.

If you are looking for something to bring some adventure into your life, this is it. I will be back with my teens and we are going to use this as a learning cave for them and a future spelunking trip in caves in South America.

2  Thank Cory J

Reviewed July 21, 2015 via mobile

Prior owners deceased and current owners don't honor Internet prices. The cave planked path is rotting. Not safe. Was happy to leave.

2  Thank signmeupnow
Reviewed June 8, 2015 via mobile

Actually, you can take a wild cave trip here, too.

Hurricane River Cave has always been my favorite commercial cave because it's far from typical. There are no colored lights (just white) and no guides. You go. You're on your own. You explore.

It's about as far from Fantastic Caverns as you can get. (Tour wise, not geographically.) It's narrow at places and you'll have to duck. If it's been raining a lot in the past few weeks, it's going to be a little slick and muddy. If you're concerned about your vehicle, you might want to bring an extra pair of shoes.

Totally a family business, too, so give them a call to see if they're open if it's close to the posted business hours.

Highly recommended if you want to get the feeling of a wild cave or get introduced to wild caving.

2  Thank LandSailor702
Reviewed June 4, 2015

My wife and I went here as part of out honeymoon... it was fantastic. We've been to many national parks and often go of the beaten path... this place has it if you're ok getting dirty! We elected to not do the extreme tour (wife 6 months pregnant) but the kind owners offered to do just part of the extreme tour so she wouldn't have to crawl on her abdomen. We simply did the self guided tour and still had plenty of fun. We there well before tourist season and got to spend some quality time with the owner and learned the history of the cave an property - totally worth it.

1  Thank scott e
Reviewed April 6, 2015

My husband and I were trying to come up with something fun today on a rainy Sunday off, and he remembered that he had passed the sign for this cavern a few times. We are so happy we decided to do this. The cavern was beautiful. We got to see tons of bats. We loved that the cavern was self guided so we were able to take our time and look around at everything we wanted to see. We also enjoyed taking tons of pictures. Beautiful cavern and cheap price to visit!

2  Thank 336jamif