“Outstanding food, underwhelming service”
Review of Bastille Kitchen

Bastille Kitchen
Ranked #372 of 3,453 Restaurants in Boston
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Seaport District / South Boston Waterfront
Reviewed 19 September 2016

My husband and I had dinner for the first time here Saturday night to celebrate our anniversary. The cocktails, wine and food were outstanding – we each tried the Paris Saint-Germain martini with vodka, elderflower, lime and basil; had the beef tartare app and the citrus brined salmon. I had the beignets for dessert, served with crème anglaise, strawberry rhubarb puree and chocolate sauce and my husband had the Citrus Napoleon. The other nice surprise was that the portions were not your typical tiny French portions; everything was generous and filling. The disappointment was the service – our waiter was completely inattentive and never checked in with us; the staff who cleared the tables in between courses were more helpful! He was unable to answer any questions we had on the wine list; he never brought us the complimentary croissants (which we didn’t realize were available until we saw all the other tables around us getting them); and we had to chase down supporting wait staff for something as basic as fresh ground pepper. The only way we would return is if we were guaranteed to have a different waiter.

Reviewed 25 August 2016 via mobile

So my son graduated from Hult International Business School yesterday. His pick for celebration dinner was Bastille Kitchen.

What a great pick. The dinner was great. The uniqueness of building added greatly to the atmosphere making it an all out great place to visit. Great location, a very safe feeling neighborhood.

This might be one of the best kept secrets of Boston. If you live here, please give it a try. If you are passing through, it is certainly worth it to make the time to eat here.

The food was excellent, the beverage selections was right on. The wait staff was very attentive.

Also, what made this experience all the more better, it is Restaurant Week here in Boston. So, I tried the pre-selected menu, it did not fail.

Will not be my last visit. Very nice.

Reviewed 24 August 2016

Went to Bastille on Friday night for the first time after hearing about it from friends numerous times. The location is slightly hidden but can described as where Fort Point meets Southie. I would consider it a hidden gem after my dinner. The setup is very open and modern; and enticing. You walk into the main area where you pass the bar; and want to grab a drink before dinner. I ordered the Prosciutto & Melon to start; it was cooked prosciutto; and fresh watermelon; and honeydew melon. Second course I ordered the Salmon with Cauliflower Risotta. I ordered the salmon well done side; and it came out exactly as requested. The portion size was also just the right amount to leave you full but not overstuffed. Dinner was the best part; 2 butter cookies along with crème Brule which was made to perfection. I wish I could've had a second. Service was not rushed; and courses came out perfectly timed. The waiter was very knowledgeable; and made for a great experience.

Reviewed 18 August 2016

Probably one of the worst restaurant experiences I've had in Boston so far in my 16 years living here. Went with a group from work. We had a drink in the lounge first and the server wasn't even able to recommend any drinks to my co-worker. I mean...isn't this cocktail waitress 101? Her service was mediocre from that point forward. At the table the poor service continued. No introduction, no how is everyone tonight, from the server. This place is upscale casual, it's not fine dining. Our server was so rigid in his service style, making our experience uncomfortable. It was almost like he wasn't even paying attention to us. We'd ask questions and he would barely acknowledge us with a response. I felt he was blatantly rude to me personally on multiple occasions. If I were not with a group from work, I would've left....

Additionally, none of us really enjoyed our meals either. Mediocre food, and horrendous service...I will not be back.

Reviewed 3 August 2016

Fresh oysters, delicious lamb, rabbit, and lobster flatbread. Good wine by the glass. Excellent pastry in the desserts. Oddly, no bread. Fine service. In the past we've eaten (poorly) at Logan before sending someone off on a flight. Bastille Kitchen is an easy drive to the airport. Worked out beautifully.