“Midwest farmer says "one of the best filets I ever had"”
Review of Chestnut

Chestnut
Ranked #16 of 784 Restaurants in Asheville
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Description: Chestnut is an American restaurant. We are in a 1920s era building in downtown Asheville, right across for the Aloft hotel and the double decker coffee bus. Parking is plentiful (and cheap) at the public deck under the Aloft Hotel.
Edmond
“Midwest farmer says "one of the best filets I ever had"”
Reviewed September 2, 2014 via mobile

Rarely am I impressed by a pice of beef outside of the Midwest, but this place has it. I was slightly disappointed by the attentiveness of out waitress, but overall they still get my highest rating. I have been in Asheville for 5 days. It seems the highest rated places have been missing the polish that I have been fortunate enough to previously experience, but this place is truly one of the best.

1 Thank Craig H

“Wonderful experience! ”
Reviewed September 1, 2014 via mobile

With the exception of the prepper that we met in the bar that wouldn't stop talking, the food, service and overall experience was great and lived up to the all the positive reviews and comments. We will definitely be going back.

Jacksonville, Florida
“American winner!”
Reviewed September 1, 2014

The Chestnut Restaurant is a wonderful place for lunch. It is conveniently located on the bustling Biltmore Avenue, where there are lots of shops and things to do. Chestnut serves fresh, delicious American cuisine in a beautiful setting.....a 1920s building with a beautiful ceiling, lots of wood, big bar. Staff is very friendly, efficient and knowledgable. Neither my companion or I were starving but wanted light fare for lunch and Chestnut fit the bill.....plenty to choose from. I had a Grilled Lemon Chicken Cobb Salad, a perfect portion, lightly dressed so all the flavors could shine. My companion had the Chestnut Charcuterie Plate (you can get a full or half portion); the half portion was plenty for lunch, with a nice selection of three cheeses, pate, and a very zippy mustard (Lusty Monk). The only "negative" and that is way too strong a word, is we were not offered any bread (other than the three very small slices that came with the charcuterie plate) and could have used a few slices. Prices were reasonable, service was fast, and we enjoyed our lunch very much. Would love to return for dinner soon (and when we are really hungry!) Would recommend reservations for dinner and/or weekends. Try it - you'll love it!

Cartersville, Georgia
“Just average”
Reviewed September 1, 2014

Most restaurants serve lunch at 11, so I was shocked that this one didn't change out the brunch menu until 11:30(stated on the door). The waitress first stated they didn't change over the menu until 5:00-very confusing-but after my husband pressed he'd really like the catfish, she asked the kitchen and they accommodated. His fish, collards, and grits were good. However, they did not have pepper vinegar to go on the greens, nor did the waitress know what we were talking about. What southern establishment doesn't have pepper vinegar to go on collards?
I ordered the chicken waffle with gravy and a side of fruit. The waffle was cold. The chicken was delicious! The gravy was unnecessary.
I would not return for brunch but would give it another try for lunch/dinner, as there are a lot of interesting items on the menu.

Miami, FL
“Top Notch Asheville Dining Experience”
Reviewed August 31, 2014

Three of us had an excellent dinner there last evening with outstanding service. The locally-raised trout with an apple glaze, the petit filet and the angus strip steak were all perfectly prepared to order and delicious. The starters (a beet and goat cheese salad in particular) were quite good, as were the lemon curd cheesecake and the chocolate pie-type dessert. It's a very busy restaurant but the food came quite quickly (but do wait to serve entrees until after the starter plates are cleared--a very minor glitch). This was our second time there for dinner, and we'll be back again.