Review Highlights
Best hike out there; all-day

Difficult, day long hike, be ready to climb; nave good shoes etc. with you. Pretty rough the last... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
DutchTX
The Woodlands, Texas
Although it can be a day hike, we enjoyed backpacking

Reviewed 29 December 2020
DarrenDaugherty
Texas

All reviews south rim day hike afraid of heights chisos mountains long hike the loop climb shape miles views bend backpack shoes shadow boot laguna deer
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 December 2020

Beautiful site on our hike to the South rim and Northeast rim. If you really want to enjoy the area, consider backpacking/camping so that you can experience sunsets and sunrises.

Date of experience: December 2020
1  Thank DarrenDaugherty
Reviewed 27 October 2020 via mobile

Excellent views made the steep hike worth it. Took about 7 hours (including breaks) for the 11 miles. I’m in okay shape, (jog 3-5mi 4x a week) and I had to break multiple times to take a breather. However, I wasn’t wearing the greatest shoes for hiking and was carrying quite a bit of weight in backpack, cameras & solar chargers which I don’t regret bringing! I drank 2L of water while my friend drank about 4-5L. I used walking sticks for the first time and was oh so glad I opted to bring them. Unfortunately we didn’t see much wildlife, maybe that’s a plus for some. Did see 1 deer on the trail, didn’t scare. Overall I’d recommend the hike if you’re in decent shape, even if you can get half way up you’ll be able to see great views.

Date of experience: October 2020
1  Thank Storyteller582915
Reviewed 8 February 2020

Well there's no better way to ring in being 40 than trying to be in my 20's again. Big Bend is a spiritual place for me and Emory Peak will be in my heart for the rest of my life no matter how many times I take it.

When we arrived this time there was a recent rain so everything was green, refreshed and beautiful. Clouds scattered the sky and hugged the canyons below. My friend bought me hiking poles which I highly recommend if you're out of shape like me. Also bring some food and plenty of water as always.

Date of experience: January 2020
Reviewed 27 December 2018

Took us a total of 7 hours from start to finish...made several stops for pictures, rest and food/drink. Be prepared to climb,climb,climb! We did not make it to the tip top on the right side but did on the left side. Sat up there for a while and just enjoyed the view- it was pretty darn cold up there! What added to the excitement of the day was an encounter with a bear as we stopped in route to take pictures...thankfully after the bear made eye contact with us, we made a bunch of noise and it decided to go a different direction! As 55+ year olds, we were quite satisfied with this challenging hike- celebrated that evening with the Emory Peak dessert at the Lodge restaurant!

Date of experience: December 2018
2  Thank Lesli F
Reviewed 12 October 2018

It was a well maintained trail, great signage, about a 2000 elevation change, stairs are on the trail to keep the terrain from degrading. Views were amazing... breathtaking. A few stops with benches or rocks suitable to sit. 1.5 miles from the top was a bathroom, but I did not stop. Top of the peak requires some rock-climbing. Best lunch spot was 1.5 miles from the top, with a level space where lots of trails intersect. Saw a bear on the way up in a tree eating.

Date of experience: October 2018