“Really delicious shabu shabu”

Shabusen Restaurant
Ranked #1,525 of 5,946 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: Japantown
Neighborhood: Japantown
Reviewed 27 July 2016

I'm a massive fan of Chinese hotpot and shabu shabu so this was on my list of restaurants to go to.

I really liked that you could pick all you can eat and the meat available is top quality. They bring an initial selection for you as well as some mixed vegetables. My favourites were the beef and the shiitake mushrooms. You pick which stock you want (spicy miso for me) and you can make up your own dipping sauce.

Overall, I really enjoyed the experience. The staff weren't too in your face although a couple of times I had to wave at them to get their attention but on the whole very friendly. Definitely worth the money if you skipped lunch that day as I had in anticipation!

Reviewed 22 July 2016

We were trying to find a do place to eat hot pot in Japantown. We didn't have reservations, so we had to wait for about 30 minutes at Shabusen. We ordered the all you can eat. $35 per adult and just an FYI..everyone in your party has to order the all you can eat. Totally worth it! We each had 2-3 plates of beef and several vegetable plates. Good food.

Reviewed 7 June 2016 via mobile

Great food and experience. Staff were very attentive, friendly and welcoming. Food was fresh and very tasty!

1  Thank SaffaTraveller2
Reviewed 7 June 2016 via mobile

The title says it all; Thoroughly enjoyable. The head chef came out often to ensure that we had what we wanted. Good value all you can eat.

1  Thank okielondon
Reviewed 28 November 2015

I've eaten Japanese food many times both in Asia and the USA, though never before shabu-shabu. A recent meal here did nothing to make me a devotee. It focused on thin sliced kobe beef, a wagon load of cabbage, a couple of tofu pieces, some mushrooms and thin cooking broth in which to dunk these ingredients. I came away feeling bloated, unsatisfied with the experience and glad to be out in the fresh air when it ended. The wait staff were pleasant but not particularly communicative. I won't be back.