“Marvelous food and service”

Liholiho Yacht Club
Ranked #24 of 6,001 Restaurants in San Francisco
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Restaurant opens at 5pm and we didn't have a reservation so we tried walking in. Luckily enough, there were seats at the bar and we were able to sit right away. We ordered 5 appetizers and 2 beers. I will review each in the order they were served, here we go:

1. Popcorn - cause well, we wanted to know how good popcorn can be. At it's minimum? Addicting. But maybe just for the experience, not ordering again cause $6 is too much for a bowl of popcorn.
2. Fried oysters - it was a mix of Asian and Western. The teasing tastes were there but never too overwhelming. It was refreshing and crunchy and an explosion of flavors all at the same time. All in all, an impressive starter.
3. Beef tongue in poppy seed bun - definitely an Asian dish with primarily Western ingredients. There is hesitation upon seeing this dish but the first bite says it all. All the flavors inside come alive at the bite and are held together by that poppy seed bun. My suggestion? Take your turns eating from the side with the cucumber and the side with the kimchi.
4. Duck liver toast - this one I actually hesitated. It seemed French but then the pineapples make me think, "hmm Hawaiian?". The salty and sweet combination does the trick. You can never go wrong with the basics. Go on, give it a try.
5. Homemade spam, fried rice, shrimp - we have gone 6 days without rice so this may be a teensy bit biased, but first bite and we said, "it's not even the spam nor the shrimp, it's the rice!" The first scoop of rice got us hooked. We were full but we could not stop reaching into the bowl. Never mind that the spam and the shrimp compliment the rice so perfectly (other way around? But well!)

We will go back, Liholiho!

P.S. the bartender was hella helpful. My partner and I share distinctively different taste buds for beers, he found us our perfect ones. So I guess walking in wasn't such a terrible idea after all.

1  Thank inareviews

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

Really delicious food, expensive, but delicious. I went with some friends for dinner, we ordered food for share and I think is a really good idea. We had the popcorn, poke, octopus, fried rice, carpaccio and the signature dessert, all really good! I recommend to make reservations on advance.

1  Thank traveler_AIS
Reviewed 4 March 2018

Louie's Gen-Gen Room is the basement of the Liholiho Yacht Club. If you don't have a reservation or you're waiting for your table upstairs, you can have a drink in this cool, mostly turquoise painted room. I was able to order a dirty gin Martini - they cheerfully made this even though it was not on the drink menu and it was very, very good! The music is something the younger crowd would like but suits the bustling atmosphere. If you're down there, try the waffles.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Wow, the hype is for real! Had to go and have a taste. There were no reservations available so we decided to go wait out front before they opened to grab a seat. Lively restaurant with an amazing menu. Good wines by the glass to compliment your meal.
Food!! We enjoyed duck hearts on a bed of different types of greens with kumquat and pistachios in a 5 spice sauce. They were so tender and flavorful, enough to share. If you really want to. Also the duck liver toast was delicious served on a thick but tender toast with pickled pineapple and a little jalapeño. So amazingly good and different! A very foodie experience. Plan ahead and make a reservation, you won’t want to miss the amazing menu. They are located a couple blocks from Union Square.

Reviewed 7 February 2018 via mobile

The cocktails are really good and notable. The entrees were not too noticeable but the appetizers were amazing. Make sure to get the fried rice and the spam musubi! I’m not even a big fan of spam but this dish was really good.