All reviewshaight ashburyclose to golden gate parkunique decorstreet noiseneighborhood
Reviewed 23 June 2017

Every room is a different theme, charming hosts, reasonably priced and convenient location close to Golden Gate park. Perfect for the adventurous traveler. Enjoy the unique decor in each room and the breakfast options. Always a fun stay.

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2016

I was lucky to find out about the Embassy Network via the NomadList Slack community as I was looking for affordable accommodation in one of the most expensive cities to visit, San Francisco.

I booked Sami's Hostel, which is a three bed room (one double and two singles) with own toilet. I had read many reviews before I booked and felt comfortable that it would be a good experience -- upon arrival, I was definitely right about this! Although the room is called 'hostel', it's not a hostel style at all -- the bed was amazingly comfortable with lovely fresh crisp white sheets, fab pillows and a great doona (+ fresh towels). I shared with two long term residents who were lovely, considerate and welcoming, so I felt relaxed and able to sleep well (I was rarely disturbed in my sleep, if at all!). The bathrooms are very short walk away and are your own individual bathroom, so this is definitely not crappy hostel style here! The room and bathroom appear to be kept very clean too, I never felt concerned about this too, which was great. Downstairs, there is a stocked kitchen for guests to use for making meals, so I was able to save money and eat here each day too -- great perk about this place!

The Red Vic encourages you to set up a profile to book and therefore meet other guests, so I met some really interesting people during my time here and connections that I'll continue the conversation with well after my visit to SF. I also found the wifi to be great and I could get work done in the coworking/event space each morning. I must add though, this isn't a typical hotel (even though there are more expensive hotel rooms) and you won't get hotel service but you will get to meet some creative interesting people and be apart of a community while in SF.

Haight Street is a colourful and creative street with some fab shops, and if you can look past some of the travellers who are located along the street at night (who I found to be friendly and harmless), it's a fascinating hippy area that hollas back to the SF of the past. It's easy to get to downtown from here too on the N train or bus, or a cheap Lyft ride to many parts of the city. Some great spots to get food and coffee nearby and a short walk to a Whole Foods too.

In all, if you come with the right attitude and open to meeting people, the Red Victorian is a great affordable option while visiting SF. If you're expecting a proper hotel experience and don't want to speak to anyone, then maybe it's not for you. It's truly unique and I'll definitely be back! I'd also love to try other Embassy Network locations around the globe :)

Room Tip: Sami's Hostel is the best shared option - quiet and only shared with 3 people
  • Stayed: September 2016, traveled solo
1  Thank Kgirl-goes-global
Reviewed 31 July 2016

My son and I had a great 4 day stay at the Red Vic. It is definitely not a conventional hotel or even a conventional hostel. It is a bit more like being invited to join a cool burning man theme camp where you don't know anybody (yet).

Our first night we grabbed some takeout planning to eat in the enormous first floor living room only to find it packed with people. The author of a book I literally just finished reading was speaking and I was able to listen and enjoy my dinner. Other evening events included fancy cocktail making, hair dying, and joining in for a fab salmon and caprese dinner.

We stayed in the Peacock room (two bunks beds) and there were other people in the room and adjacent rooms like a hostel. The beds were super comfy and it was easy to sleep late. But if you snore (as I found out I do), you may wish for a private room.

At the end of our stay it was more saying goodbye to new friends than checking out and I hope to return soon.

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2016

I am not generally the biggest fan of travelling to San Francisco. When I went from 6/30-7/4 I had a marvelous time and in part it was due to the Red Victorian. It was a very comfortable place to stay. The bed was soft with clean sheets and a good comforter, and a nice pillow. They also provided towels and wash cloths. The staff was friendly, and while I did not see them much (other than to check in and checkout) they were friendly and welcoming.
Really for the price you cannot have a better place (or location!) to stay in San Francisco, me and my two friends will definitely be returning for future trips!

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled with friends
Reviewed 17 December 2015

I stayed in a hostel and private room. This place is amazing. If you are looking for a traditional hotel, look elsewhere, but if you read up on who they are via their website redvic.com, and know that you are coming into someone's home, you will be thrilled.

The rooms are clean with the most comfortable beds ever. It is like sleeping on a cloud. The Haight-Ashbury neighborhood is lively but really fun. Tons of great boutiques and cute restaurants. Almost NO CHAIN STORES anywhere and the Red Victorian is such a great part of that vibe.

You have to do your own dishes, but there is always great conversation in the kitchen so it is a pleasure. You may not know what event is happening during you stay but that's the best part of any adventure. You get to stay in a home but have your sheets changed every day!

Come here alone and make friends, it is like airbnb meets the world's most friendly hostel but even better.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms are quieter as is Earth Charter.
  • Stayed: October 2015, traveled with friends