“Good meal under hectic conditions”
Review of de Young Cafe

de Young Cafe
Ranked #404 of 5,946 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Cafe
Neighborhood: Golden Gate Park
Neighborhood: Golden Gate Park
Reviewed 16 March 2018

Probably because of the flower show, the cafe was packed. The cafeteria line was long, and had we not shared a table with another couple, I'm not sure when or how we could have eaten our meals. They were fine: I had the curried carrot soup and quiche; my wife had the salmon salad. The coffee was good. This place should be more user-friendly when there are fewer people using it.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

The food here is always exotic and interesting but the serving sizes are challenging.
My wife and I are not big eaters but we always leave with a half full tank and a thinner wallet.

Reviewed 1 February 2018

The manager was quite terse to keep pointing out that it was 11am and brunch was just now starting, so some things weren't ready since they'd had a meeting. So 15 minute wait for fritatta. Okay,I had a mixed mushroom and butternut squash quiche with mixed greens instead. The flavors of the quiche were good, had to search a bit for mushrooms and very little dressing on the greens (preferable to swimming in the dressing though). My husband ordered chicken and waffles (chicken fingers really) and asked for syrup on the side. Everything on his plate was drenched in syrup. He literally had to take 6 napkins to wipe everything down: the waffle, the chicken, the plate, since he wasn't going to waste it. The people bussing the tables were super sweet, and the space itself is lovely. My pear frangipane tart and my husband's chocolate chip cookie were great (luckily we started with those as we waited for brunch). Been there, done that, don't need to experience that again.

Reviewed 21 January 2018

You'll need a break while touring the museum and it is nice to have a cafeteria available. The offerings are pretty typical of museum food, but it was nice to sit outside in the sculpture garden.

Reviewed 20 December 2017

There were a number of options for a quick snack, all pretty good and some unusual, but nothing to write home about. But you can definitely design your snack of meal according to your tastes and dietary needs.