“Not Impressed and Nor Worth the Money”
Review of Scoma's Restaurant

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Cross street: Jefferson Street
Transit: Muni - #10, #15, #30, #47 Street Car - F Line Cable Car
Description: Scoma's is a San Francisco icon and the only restaurant located in Fisherman's Wharf with a commercial licensed Fish Receiving Station. Freshness and high quality are the main reasons the restaurant has been successful for more than 55 years. Whether guests want to watch the commercial fishing boats in action or enjoy the view of the Bay from the cocktail lounge, come in an join the Scoma's family for one of the best dining experiences San Francisco has to offer. For updated operation information, please visit: https://scomas.com/operations/
Reviewed 17 October 2021

I can describe our entire experience as "outdated". Outdated interior, outdated décor, and outdated recipes. It has the feel of an old diner with it's faux-leather seats and faux-wood paneling. Hundredth of pictures of long dead or really elderly celebrities are not recognizable by younger or even middle-age generation. The recipes are boring and uninventive. If you are familiar with oysters from East coast then do not order them here - you will be disappointed by smallish size and lack of taste. Crab cakes were not bad but everything else we ordered was bland and left no memory what so ever. Finally, and my apologies to senior citizens, all waiters are elderly. It might be a complement to the overall theme of this restaurant or owners intent to provide jobs to the senior citizen. But one thing you notice quickly how tired they all look - the lines in the face, the shuffling feet, the hunched backs.

At $100 per person for 2 drinks, appetizer, and main course you will find that you money is better spend elsewhere.

Date of visit: October 2021
Write a reviewReviews (6,084)

Reviewed 30 September 2021 via mobile

On a once in a lifetime trip to San Francisco and other parts of Northern California we made advance reservations to dine outside. We were kept waiting for a long time while others without reservations were ushered inside. We were finally escorted to our table outside. Lovely weather until the sun went down. Each table outside is equipped with a heater. Thankfully that allowed us to continue to enjoy the ambiance. Someone brought us water and we waited and waited for our server to come. Finally one member of our party asked for the manager and a server showed up! This was a birthday celebration dinner, planned months in advance. When our drinks and dinner arrived, all was good.

Reviewed 28 September 2021

The decor will remind you of the 1970s. The food is generally above average however. I write generally because my wife and I got the same entree and we have only been there once. The crab cakes appetizer is probably best viewed as the bread dish though. Some places may bill their crab cake as "all killer, no filler". Scoma's could take a lesson from that. Maybe best advertised as a hush puppy? I digress, it was only the appetizer for us. The mixed grill saved the day with three ample portions of fish and some shrimp for good measure.

1  Thank Jason B
Reviewed 13 September 2021

We went to Scoma's in S.F. for my Son's birthday. We drove from Monterey to San Francisco Scomas because over the last 40 years, this place has always been a special place for my Family to celebrate Family celebrations. Today was no different, it was my Son's birthday. First of all, the service was absolutely outstanding. Our server recommended the Halibut as fresh. I ordered the Halibut and my Son ordered the "Whole" crab. The Halibut that I received was overcooked and dry. My Son's crab was served as overcooked crab parts, not a whole crab (I think it may have been equivalent to whole crab). His crab was so overcooked that the shell was super soft and none of the crab once taken from the shell maintained its form. It simply fell apart. He ate about 2/3's of the crab and left the rest.

My "Fresh" Halibut was overcooked and dry. When I reported this to our server, he asked me if I like my fish "Well done"? What is well-done fish? It's called overcooked. So I sent it back to be replaced. The replacement was just ok.
Note: In over 35 years I have never returned one item at Scoma's. Hence the title, "disappointed!" Scoma's has always had a history of not good food, but Great food. Not on this day.

On the bright side, my other Son had Waygu American style 8 oz, steak which was good!

Reviewed 2 September 2021

Covid has wiped out many of the classic restaurants on Fisherman's Wharf, yet Scoma's has kept the spirit and quality alive, and they have been doing so for decades. Take some time to view the photos of celebrities, etc along the walls--this was the place to get seafood in the City and it still is.
Many of the servers have worked here for decades, their knowledge of the menu and preparations are amazing. Our server was Sal--friendly, happy, helpful and knowledgeable. Ask for his section when you make the necessary reservations.
The food is prepared and presented superbly. The servers are attentive, yet respect your space and pace...always monitoring, not interrupting. This is a great place for a high end romantic seafood dinner in the City. You cannot leave this place still hungry--very generous portions of all dishes.

Date of visit: August 2021