“A Bento Box among Friends”
Review of Takara Restaurant

Takara Restaurant
Ranked #1,189 of 5,938 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Japantown
Reviewed April 13, 2016

We were among the first diners for lunch on a chilly Monday. The restaurant was warm and welcoming and quickly filled up. We selected bento boxes for our lunches, my main entree was pork tonkatsu served on a small bed of shredded cabbage, my companion had sashimi. Both boxes began with a lacquered bowls of miso soup with seaweed and soft tofu and cups of hot tea ( much appreciated on a cold day). The bento box had our respective entrees with three pieces of sushi accompanied by wasabi and soy sauce, a small side salad and five pieces of tempura that included shrimp, eggplant, green bean and squash and rice. It was a lot of food for a very reasonable price, well served in pleasant surroundings.

Reviewed January 23, 2016

Scheduled a lunch meeting with a businessman. Arrived ~5 minutes before appointment but wasn't allowed to get in without order immediately. Too late to change to another restaurant, waited outside for ~ 5 min.

Food was so-so but the check arrived faster than we could finish the dish.

Reviewed January 17, 2016

My group ventured into this restaurant, looking to experience authentic Japanese menu choices. Service was somewhat lacking in terms of usual American experience, but our food was served timely and hot. Interesting experience, excellent choices, and located at the peace plaza.

Reviewed January 16, 2016

If you want authentic old style Japanese fare, you've come to the right place as this place has been here for a long time. There are so many places in Japantown to eat and one of our friends recommended this place but she hasn't been here in a long time so we thought we'd give it a try.

I'd say it is a 3 and 1/2 to 4 star place. The portions are good for the price. Some of us ordered sushi, chicken katsu (huge portion), as well as the dinner set which includes radish, miso soup, hot savory custard that had mushrooms and fish cake, seaweed, rice and dessert as well as the entree. The custard was ok but I wasn't expecting it to have some unusual flavors in it. Some dinners even come with tempura. I ordered the unajyu dinner which is eel and the portions were huge. It came in a box with the eel on top and the rice on the bottom. Dessert was green tea ice cream!

Reviewed January 11, 2016

I was staying at Buchanan and Sutter Streets, right at the entrance to Japantown in San Francisco. I wanted Japanese food so I looked up to find what Japanese restaurants were in the vicinity. I had the three course dinner with Mackerel, Tempora and Pork Tonkatsu. The service was very attentive and the dinner was just what I wanted. Not too much and it was just enough. The only thing that I was not quite sure of was the egg custard. But everything else was exquisite.