“REAL Lebanese!! Food was authentic!!”
Review of Mazzat

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Hayes Valley
Cross street: Laguna
Reviewed 5 March 2018

We are Lebanese Americans and it is hard to find good Lebanese dining out. We ordered the mezze plate and it was great! The kibbeh had a hint of cinnamon to it which made it all that better. The hommus was served smooth with Zeit; and whole chick peas. I just wish authentic pita or syrian bread was served vs the thick bread that came with it. Also go labne and it was served correctly with zeit and zataar spice. Falafel was great and even had a little spice to it. The one thing I would say is that servers should know a little more about the wine menu. He poured us the glass of Ksara (we have been to Ksara vineyard before in Zahleh, Lebanon); and he didnt know much if anything about the wines. The pour was also 1/2 of what a standard glass should be. For $12 a glass it should have been double the size, especially where the entire bottle cost $14. Cozy atmosphere.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 3 March 2018

I gave this cozy and charming restaurant five stars because it met or exceeded all of my expectations. Even without reservations on a Friday evening, they graciously found a table for our party of two. I had taken a look at the menu online before coming, so I knew I was interested in the signature small plates, the mazzats. I ordered a sampler that consists of the diner's choice of three hot and three cold appetizers (everyone at the table gets the same six dishes). We chose, in order of most flavorful to less flavorful, the batata hara (garlic spiced potatoes), rahib (fired eggplant with pomegranate sauce), makdous (tiny stuffed pickled eggplants), foul (a coarse fava bean puree), tabouli, and kibbeh. For the main dish we both chose the ground lamb and beef in tomato sauce (kafta). Warm pieces of fresh pita bread accompanied the food. Although there is a good selection of wine, we opted for a light Lebanese beer that was a perfect pairing for the flavorful food.

Service was attentive and pleasant. Prices were average by Hayes Valley standards. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, but the sound level was particularly loud, especially when one group of patrons decided to carry on a conversation by shrieking at each other. Reservations for Friday and Saturday nights are advisable even though we were lucky as walk ins.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 6 February 2018

A great spot for pre-theater or concert dining. 3 blocks from SF Jazz Center and 4 from Davies Hall. Very large menu with both small and large plates. Wide variety of dishes, nicely prepared and seasoned. Good variety; especially for vegetarians. Wine is available. Have eaten there three times and enjoyed it each time. Wait staff very pleasant, efficient, and helpful. Reservations recommended.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 4 November 2017

Mr. Sothoth occasionally likes to go to the symphony or the opera. Getting a decent affordable meal before curtain time can be a challenge. But not anymore, because you can visit Mazzat.

I work in the leafy confines of San Bruno, and Mazzat has an outpost there (the latter is a good choice for lunch) in the fabulous Bayhill Shopping Center. The owner told me that the Fell Street location was his first restaurant. Quiet, reasonably priced, interesting selection of small plates, and convenient to cultural activities.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 10 July 2017

This place sells great Lebanese food but seems to want to be a wine bar as well. I'm not a fan of the shawerma (had much better elsewhere) but loved the halloumi, hummus, batata hara, fatoush etc. Fast service, not too expensive. Its a small place but good for small groups and relaxed evening out

Date of visit: July 2017