“Osha Thai next door is better”

No photo provided
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: Mission and Minna
Reviewed 29 April 2013

This restaurant is not as busy as Osha, so you are likely to get a table. Food is hit or miss. The Singapore noodles were bland and unimpressive. Service is fast.

Reviewed 31 January 2013

As far as Thai places go I was not impressed. It wasn't bad but it wasn't very good either. I ordered the eggplant and vegetables which was okay but I used the all the chili sauce in the jar they offered me. I also ordered the cucumber salad which was extremely disappointing as the amount of food in it would fit in the palm of my hand. Seriously, it was like three slices of cucumber with a tiny bit of shaved carrots on top. For three dollars it was a big rip-off.

Again, not awful but you could definitely do better.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

My husband and I were staying in Union Square area and wanted Thai for dinner, searched reviews and decided to try Ta•ra. We found the atmosphere to be quiet and reflective of an Asian restaurant. Wait staff was very attentive but not too much. Food was as it was described in the menu. We had the Green Papaya Salad with Mango and Shrimp. Flavors were well melded, not too much lettuce but enough to give additional texture to the dish, very crisp and clean. We tried the Woon Sen soup which was a clear broth with glass noodles, vegetables, pork and shrimp. It was what we wanted to prepare us for the heavier foods to follow. Entrees were Tsunami Prawn and Panang Curry. I would have preferred a bit more fire to the Tsunami Prawn, but the vegetables were perfectly prepared and the shrimp not overcooked. The Panang with tofu was warm to the palette but had that creamy sauce. We tried the spicy noodles, a side dish for only $6 and it added more of the fire we come to love from Thai food. The staff indicated they are busy Monday-Friday but much slower on Saturdays. We used Open Table to reserve our table and it was waiting for us upon arrival. Overall we left full and very pleased with our meal.

Reviewed 27 January 2012

Tara offers many wonderful dishes and the food is to die for. Just note they don't have many of the traditional thai items but instead modified creations. My parner and I went there looking for traditional thai and were aprehensive when we say the menu, however, we ordered and left with huge smiles of satisfaction. Wonderful-bravo!

Reviewed 19 September 2011

I am a part of Dividend Miles Dining through US Air and took this restaurant as a recommendation from their site. To be honest - most restaurants on the site that I would frequent are only to accumulate miles. Not Tara Restaurant. I would return here in a heartbeat regardless of the reward.
The prices were outstanding, the food was top-notch (especially the portions) and the service was friendly and spot-on. If you are in the San Francisco area for a convention near or at the Moscone Center - take your group here for a great Thai experience.
I had the Spicy Schzehuan Beef and a colleague had the traditional House Pad Thai full of chicken and shrimp. Chicken Satay with peanut sauce started us off and the ice cold Singha was the perfect compliment.