“1of the Best Udon and Ramen In SF”
Review of Tanpopo

Tanpopo
Ranked #1,342 of 6,004 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: Japantown
Neighborhood: Japantown
Reviewed 22 September 2016 via mobile

Authentic Japanese place in Sf!! The noodles dishes were awesome cos they used home made ones. I luv my yakiudon..very tasty..dynamite rolls were great as well. Will surely come back again...

Reviewed 25 August 2016 via mobile

Good Sushi, fast and friendly service, fair prices. Nothing to complain about.. dont expect anything fancy though!

Reviewed 5 August 2016

I'll begin by admitting my bias - having visited Japan several times I believe I have a decent sense of "authentic" Japanese food. The food at Tanpopo tasted like a poor imitation of what I've enjoyed in Japan and, indeed, at other Japanese restaurants.

My wife and I started with the gyoza which was bland. Our noodle bowls were better largely because of the good variety of ramen spices provided at each table. And the portions were generous. But, overall, there was nothing to write home about.

The service was decent though we didn't see our server after our food was delivered.

Reviewed 19 April 2016

Perfectly decent ramen. Staff was very friendly, and changed the channel so we could watch the football match. I think they also gave us extra-extra pork, which was nice. We got kyushu ramen (tonkatsu) and karamiso ramen (spicy miso ramen) which both come with one slice of pork which is nowhere near enough, I can tell you right now, so order an extra side. I liked the tonkatsu the best, with its pure and rich broth. The spicy miso was good, but I was less of a fan. I like to add a little spice of my own to a great broth, rather than have the broth flavor hidden under loads of spice. We also got a seaweed salad to share, which was yummy.

It was just okay, though. Not enough noodles, not enough toppings (teeniest little sheet of seaweed; I should've ordered more but didn't realize they'd be so skint!) Plenty of broth, but need more stuff in it. Also, it was super hot in there (no air conditioning?) which is not an ideal condition for eating hot bowls of noodle soup - made me sort of sweaty and uncomfortable.

I inherently love all noodle soups, so I would eat this ramen again, but I bet you can get better in San Francisco. To be fair, this may well be very authentic, and the ramen I like might be full of unnecessary bells and whistles, but I don't pretend to have highbrow pure tastes, I just like tons of noodles and tons of fun stuff in my ramen, and great broth. And air conditioning.

Reviewed 15 March 2016

We came based on a friend's recommendation. The place gets busy quickly so we were fortunate to be seated immediately. The server was great and attentive, but not overbearing.

As far as food, it's nothing to get excited over. The portions are great, though. I ordered the curry katsu and it tasted like boxed curry...We also ordered fried avocado; it sounded more intriguing that what they actually served...at least put some panko on the avocado.

Would I return? Probably not. If you're in the area, though, it's worth going to.