“Great tour a must do, pre book”
Review of Alcatraz Island

Alcatraz Island
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Park rangers conduct tours by recounting the prison's thrilling history along with intriguing anecdotes about Al Capone and other legendary figures that made a "home" here.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

You must pre book this tour as you will be disappointed if not. Great audio tour, fascinating to see how the escape from Alcatraz happened!! Great boat trip over

Write a ReviewReviews (46,676)
All reviews
in 7,583 reviews

Top Tips.
1. Book in advance as tickets get sold out very fast
2. Book a early or late trip to the island it gets very busy otherwise
3. Try plan around weather (not always predictable or possible)

It would be crazy not to go to Alcatraz Island and see the famous prison whilst in San Francisco. However, what TV fails to portray is the bay area has plenty of fog which leave at times fades away the island and the golden gate bridge in white mass. Thankfully, I booked my trip to Alcatraz Island for a early morning slot and was the first group to arrive on the Island. During this time the bay was clear but the fog rolled in toward the afternoon.

Before taking the trip locals and previous visitors suggested i take a early boat and book in advance and i am glad they told me. I booked my trip to Alcatraz 2 weeks before arriving in the city and most the slots had filled up. The early slot allowed us to be the first on the island, but given that the island was small it did not take long for it to fill up with more groups arriving on the boat.

I would try plan around weather as the rain also came in toward the afternoon. I was lucky enough that my boat trip out to the island and my time looking at the city across the water was dry. When the weather took a turn for the worst it was torrential making the island unbearable to walk around and forcing us to leave sooner then anticipated.

The prison was interesting though left me underwhelmed as I found the self guided tours on audio were a little mechanical. I would suggest if you are there to find a guided tour with a person as i am sure they were more engaging.

Overall a must see especially if you have not booked a boat tour around the city you get some magnificent views.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have been accompanying my college students here every semester for the past 6 years and it still manages to impress me every time. The audioguide is excellent and the whole experience is well organized. Ferry ride over is a treat in itself - great photo ops. Once on island make sure to take a walk over to the bird sanctuary area - fantastic view of SF and hardly anyone bothers to wander over there. In spring there are wildflowers in bloom and many species of birds. Very special. Only complaint would be how quickly it sells out... absolutely must get tickets on line and early.... especially for weekends.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The National Park Service has done a brilliant job of maintaining and managing this site. You’ll find a great variety of special daily tours with knowledgeable NPS guides. I first visited Alcatraz in 1980, and the restoration done since then is quite impressive.